8 3/4 rear

-

chad72duster

Reaction score
what do yall think an 8 3/4 complete is worth. I found one with a 3.23 sure grip for $650 seems a little pricey but they are getting hard to find. whts yall .02

i only paid a buck and a quarter for the one i got[489], but it didn't have a sure grip and i had to pull it.
for what i am doing i didn't need the sure grip, i'm going with a spool and i had to narrow the housing anyway.

650 sounds high to me, but if it will drop right in with out any mods it might be a good deal.

I'm paying 75 bucks for my 3.55 suregrip 8.75 rearend out of a 68 dart

DodgeFreak said:
I'm paying 75 bucks for my 3.55 suregrip 8.75 rearend out of a 68 dart

i think you could get arrested for that DodgeFreak!

i think you had better let me take that deal. i sure would hate for you to get in trouble. :D

I used to think $500 was about the right price for a complete a-body 8 3/4 with a SG, but they are getting kind of scarce. You might want to grab it if nothing else comes up soon.

breakdown of my chunk

housing - $50 off of ebay painted with new seals
ring and pinon new (3.91 gear) - i think i remember it being $200
install kit - around $100
rebuilt sure grip - $200 from a moparts member
arp sure grip bolts - $50

so add it all up and you get $600 for a brand new rebuilt 489 sure grip chunk with arp bolts.

housing (cleaned, painted threads chased) axles (w/green bearings, new studs, new felpro gaskets) 10"bakingplates (repaired & painted with all new brake parts)...seller met me half way...$600. Center chunk (741 w/sg)...$100. Brand new drums (1-3/4" x 10", 5 on 4" pattern) $98/pc. Stainess brake line, brass distr block & hose (Carlisle) $55. Need gears yet! I saw complete 8-3/4 rears at Carlisle for $400, but needed some good clean up-replace bearings, brakes and drums. Yes...I did pay more...but I didn't have to do any work, except I'll have to swap gears.

It sounds kindy pricey for a 3.23 one legger but after reading all the posts maybe its not a bad deal.

well I have to find out what carrier. If its a 741 carrier its a no go. If its a 489 or 742 carrier with the 7290 bearing in good shape maybe. 3:23 in a 489 are going on moparts for 250 to 300 the housings are getting had to find I havent see any on Ebay. If you see on throw it my way. I will just have to see.
A body housing 51 flange to flange , right???

A-bodies 51.4" but I measured one at 51 15/16". There are slight variations in the old stuff. Spring perches are 43" center to center. To bad these things are too big to ship from Hawaii at a reasonable price or else I'd give you one. I got a spare a-body housing sitting on a shelf, even got a set of stock axles for it.

thanks Craig

I will come across something but 650 for a 741 is to much. I can find a housing and some stock rods pretty cheap and I have a 741 with 3:23 in it. Will the backing plates from the 7 1/4 work on the 8 3/4 for brakes?? If so then I will just piece one together and be done with it.

Ok ...i may sounds stupid but...whats the differences between the cases like the 741 and what not...whats bad about the 741 case compared to the 489 or 742??

it has always been my assumption that people liked the

489 because of its large tapered pinon
742 because its bearings are actually larger than those in the 489

am i close?

for one thing, the pinion shaft size is different.
i think there are some other things also, but i think that is the big difference.

check out the archives there is a great tech article there that will tell you everything. The 741 was the center section for low HP low applications I will be shooting around 400 to 425 HP to it so best just to by pass the 741.

The guy who sold me the 741, has one in his 64 (?) sport fury 4 door, 383, for his everyday use, and even tows his drag car with it! :scratch: :?: :silent:

I wouldnt worry about the 741 case. May be alittle harder to find a gear set for but they will take a beeting. I have one in my car right now.

thats the biggest problem finding gears or just about anything that will fit a 741. The 742 or 489 has just about everything. Walked into the mother load of E body 8 3/4 at ultimate rides. Its a company that specializes in building high dollar E bodies he had about 15 or 20 complete rears sitting around. Loads of stuff for E bodies an not a thing for a bodies.

well its a 741 housing and 650 is to much to pay for that set up. I know where a guy has a housing for $50 I can get some stock length axels for $50 and i have an open 741 carrier of my own. $100 bucks sound alot better than $650.

Food for thought

The sure grip unit will work in ANY 8 3/4 case.(741, 742, 489)

That was 650 for a complete diff(axles too?), with a sure grip and a 323?

It's a good deal. 741 case or not. You can always build a center section with a better case later on.

The 741 will should take a fair bit of abuse before grenading.

-
Back