8 3/4 Rearend

-

Waco Demon

Reaction score
I am putting togeather a 8 3/4 . I'd like to know if I should put some kind of sealent on the gasket for the 3rd member to the housing .
Waco Demon

I've done it both ways with sealant and without with no problems either way. Just make sure its clean and use the lock washers under the nuts and you should be fine

I couldnt get my 8 3/4 to seal with two different gaskets, so I just ran a bead of ultra grey, it has been sealed leak free for about two years now...

i only use RTV and no gasket...have not used a gasket in 20 yrs or more..

I hate using sealant of any kind, with or without a gasket. Since my car is a race car it comes apart more frequently and I hate cleaning sealant off. Plain gaskets are much easier to work with. Now having said that I just put a fresh gear in my 8.75 and used only a gasket. Well it's leaking and I need to take it back apart. I don't know if I tore the gasket or something else is wrong but I doubt I'll use any sealant on it when I put back together unless I just can't find a reason for why it is leaking.

U go buy replacement gaskets now, and sumtimes all U git iz a tube ov silicone instead ov a gasket....Mite have an underly'in message..;-)

Here's what I do. You can use this method if you want.
I have a good quality Fel Pro brand gasket. I will seal this to the axle
housing with a good quality silicone sealer. Then I will use a SLIGHT coating
of grease. Chassis grease or wheel bearing. I have changed out the gear set
many times. Going from the street gears to the race set up I have.
It dosn't leak for me. Just my thoughts on this.

That is true but I'd also point out that silcone sealer or RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) is meant to be used without a gasket of any kind, not with a gasket. It can actually push a gasket out of place. It works better when used to seal stamped steel covers rather than two machined surfaces.

I don't use the silicone like a back yarder would. just a light coat to keep it
in position and seal any small machine surfaces. The grease lets me pull the
center on and off without tearing it.

-
Back