8 3/4 rearend

-

klingon

Reaction score
Hi I got a 8 3/4 rearend suregrip with 10 inch brake drums how good will it hold up to 450 hp power?

The 8 3/4 is found behind 440&hemi automatic cars so it,s not a problem,it,s the center section that,s a issue.The best case is the 489 unit,as it has the largest size pinion,1 7/8 unit,so as long as it,s set up right,you should have decades of service,mrmopartech

That,s the small 1 3/4 inch diameter pinion,step pinion.If you intend to beat the piss out of it,find your self a 489 case with a sure grip(clutch type or cone type) and your good for a awhile.mrmopartech

No I don't think I will beat the piss out of it just everyday drive once in a while hammer on it

The diff will do for now,but try your best to get a complete 489 case in the future,and then enjoy it,as it will not be the weak link,mrmopartech

Its not a 742 or 489, but there are plenty of people even on here that race on saturday and drive through the week. My trans shop has an employee with a barracuda with a 408 stroker for his track car. It has a 741. One fabo member has a 8.25 in his car, forget his name. You should be just fine. Stick or auto?

While a 741 pinion has a smaller size pinion bearing,, keep in mind that all the 8 3/4s and the Dana share/interchange the same size yoke, either fine or coarse spline..(which is the narrowest point)

The weak point seems to be breaking teeth, not snapping pinions, that's where the ferd 9" and Dana has an edge, more teeth in contact..

I've used 741s under all applications, and I've never blown a "small bearing",, or broken a pinion yet.. jmo

hope it helps..

I've known many guys that race low 11 sec cars using the 741 carrier. They are way under rated just because they have the smallest diameter pinion shaft.

Like a few people before me have stated, your fine with the 489 case & 450hp.

for street it's fine...even at the occasional track run it should be fine

While a 741 pinion has a smaller size pinion bearing,, keep in mind that all the 8 3/4s and the Dana share/interchange the same size yoke, either fine or coarse spline..(which is the narrowest point)

The weak point seems to be breaking teeth, not snapping pinions, that's where the ferd 9" and Dana has an edge, more teeth in contact..

I've used 741s under all applications, and I've never blown a "small bearing",, or broken a pinion yet.. jmo

hope it helps..

The voice of reason.

Many people waste untold $ on 489/742 cases because an article written long ago bashed the 741 case as a low performance/weak case.

Run the 741 if it has a good gear set in it that you would like to use!

-
Back