8 3/4 SBP brake options

-

bluefish1967

Reaction score
Finally have the Cuda up and running with the new 340 engine, and need to start sourcing parts for the 8 3/4 swap. Through my research, I'm seeing post on the inability to find new10 inch SBP brake drums. Bad news for me, if this is true. Car currently has Power drum brakes with small bolt pattern Cragars that I recently bought and a 7 1/4 rear end.
So what are my options? Can the 7 1/4 parts be swapped onto the 8 3/4...backing plates, drums etc.
Any help would be appreciated. Larry

I think people have refound the rear drums...someone else will chime in...if u have 10 inch rear brakes on your 7.25 the parts will swap over to a small brake 8.75 backing plate

Just found the sticky on this subject, checked with Rock auto. Not available. Internet search for that part number is coming up empty so far.
Not sure what size rear brakes are on it now. Car came from the factory with an 8 3/4, but someone swapped in a 7 1/4 before I got it.

I also have not been able to find 10inch rear drums in SBP for my 65 dart. Sometimes a good used pair of drums show up in the for sale section. Good luck with the search. Dustin

Thanks Dustin...just got off the phone with Summit Racing. They want me to call back tomorrow. Had me on hold a long time, I suspect the part is not available anywhere. I'll let you know. Larry

UPDATE Called the local O"Reillys today where I have some other parts on order, and asked them about the drums. They can get them from their warehouse and have them here tomorrow for $49.00 a piece. Gonna try that first since they are local...easier to send back if they are the wrong ones. Larry

If O'Reillys doesn't come through try Minneapolis Brake and Equipment. (612) 378-3141. I bought drums (10 inch), pads and all from them for my 8 3/4.

Can the 7 1/4 parts be swapped onto the 8 3/4...backing plates, drums etc.
Glad you have some leads on SBP 10" drums. 'Cause IMO, a can of worms would be opened if 7¼ backing plates were used on an 8.75 axle. IIRC, the 7¼ backing plate mounts with four bolts, the 8.75 uses five. Then one has to be concerned about offset of the backing plate relative to the axle hub. (This is why a 7¼ can't be upgraded from SBP by stuffing BBP shafts in it.)

Anything can be made to fit. I think it was the Romans who first coined the phrase. "If the part doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer."

Glad you have some leads on SBP 10" drums. 'Cause IMO, a can of worms would be opened if 7¼ backing plates were used on an 8.75 axle. IIRC, the 7¼ backing plate mounts with four bolts, the 8.75 uses five. Then one has to be concerned about offset of the backing plate relative to the axle hub. (This is why a 7¼ can't be upgraded from SBP by stuffing BBP shafts in it.)

Anything can be made to fit. I think it was the Romans who first coined the phrase. "If the part doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer."

But the drums, the shoes and hardware interchange. MT

I have them listed somewhere in this forum -- maybe they are too far "down the line"...
I HAVE the 10" x 1 3/4" Rear BRAKE DRUMS -- and I have -- right now -- about 8 or
10 sets of N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Rear Brake Shoes......
First calls, first served; until completion!!!!

Call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.... New York.....

But the drums, the shoes and hardware interchange. MT

Yes. But only if we're talking about a 10" SBP drum system migrating from an SBP 7¼" to an SBP 8.75" rear axle, then the only fly in the ointment appears to be the support (backing plate). More important than the 4 hole/5 hole mounting bolts, is the fact that the support for a 7¼" is setup for a 2.75" axle tube, where as 8¼ thru Dana 60 use a 3" tube. (Yes the Dana 60 axle tubes leave the housing at 4" but are stepped down to 3" by the time a clip (U-bolt) is used on them.)

Picked up the new drums today from O' Reillys. Look good, made in China. Won't know for sure if they are correct until Saturday when I go to the shop, but the measurements look correct.
The parts guy was confused at my urgency to find these drums. I explained to him that my sources said that the drums were very hard to locate, and that I had tried several sources without any success. . In fact, the O 'reillys website did not show 10 SBP drums as available, yet he located them easily. Took 1 day to get them in.
He told me to pass the word to anyone trying to find these. They are Brake Best Select brand, part # BBR 2932d6s, $ 49.00 each. All of the brake parts are available also. Larry

Was leafing through the July 2015 copy of Mopar Muscle magazine, and found a brake resto article on pages 10-14 by Steve Dulcich. In page 14 is a photo of the OEM 10" drum along with its replacement from Rock Auto. The "hat" portion of the OEM rises at an angle, whereas the Rock Auto version rises straight up. Apparently no difference in fit or function.

Points I take away from this are: 1. Rock Auto has 10" drums for 8.75 BBP axles 2. It may look different, but if the shoe fits, run with it.

-
Back