8 3/4 support piece

-

Austin Schlegel

Reaction score
Hi,

I am installing the rear end back in my 68 barracuda but am missing the support piece that is shown in the diagram here:
upload_2022-1-20_12-17-50.png

Do I need this and can someone point me in the right direction to find one?

thanks

Hi,

I am installing the rear end back in my 68 barracuda but am missing the support piece that is shown in the diagram here:
View attachment 1715855991

Do I need this and can someone point me in the right direction to find one?

thanks
Not a support piece but a pinion snubber. Start a want ad and some one will have one for you.

That is for a pinion snubber, there is a rubber bumper that goes on the end, and when the suspension wraps up under power it hits the underside of the car which helps "support" the rear suspension from twisting up. If you aren't pushing a ton of horsepower you likely won't need it.

Unless you are drag racing with slicks, you don't need it, and maybe not even then. Utterly useless in my opinion.
If I had a free one, I wouldn't expend the energy to crawl under the car to install it.

They are on 7 1/4" rear cars too.

It might also come into play if there is excess weight in the back of the car.

There are numerous lengths so be sure you get the propper one for A bodies.

Unless you are drag racing with slicks, you don't need it, and maybe not even then. Utterly useless in my opinion.
If I had a free one, I wouldn't expend the energy to crawl under the car to install it.

Don't know if i'd agree with that 33IMP. Chrysler engineers deemed it necessary and from what I know of Auto Manufacturers being involved with them for over 25 years, they won't spend one red cent more than they have to to produce a car so the snubber is required for either a safety or an operational requirement.

Don't know if i'd agree with that 33IMP. Chrysler engineers deemed it necessary and from what I know of Auto Manufacturers being involved with them for over 25 years, they won't spend one red cent more than they have to to produce a car so the snubber is required for either a safety or an operational requirement.
Oh I expected disagreement. I just go by personal experience. My car, as with 90% of mopars lifts the body and plants the rearend on acceleration. Mine used to lift at least five inches, but I did some mods when I put the superstock springs in, so now it only lifts three inches.Even If the snubber were against the floor (which would provide floor damage and an awful ride) It would be waving in the air three inches away from contacting anything at launch. How does that help?
Sorry, I just have no use for a pinion snubber. If you like em, go for it.

Oh I expected disagreement. I just go by personal experience. My car, as with 90% of mopars lifts the body and plants the rearend on acceleration. Mine used to lift at least five inches, but I did some mods when I put the superstock springs in, so now it only lifts three inches.Even If the snubber were against the floor (which would provide floor damage and an awful ride) It would be waving in the air three inches away from contacting anything at launch. How does that help?3
Sorry, I just have no use for a pinion snubber. If you like em, go for it.
I ran 002/003 springs on my 71 drag only BB Dart. Ran 29.5 W slicks. After the first year doing inspections, I found the axle wrap was so bad it had dented the shock! I installed a adjustable snubber, end of problem. I had the front limited to 1” of rise car would 1.25-1.30 60’. They do have their place.

-
Back