8 3/4 sure grip axle problem

-

1970b5swinger

1970B5SWINGER
Reaction score
I have a 70 dart swinger that has a stock 8 3/4 rear end, I pulled the single spinner center out and put in a 741 sure grip but when I put my axles in I am having a hard time trying to get the 5 axle retainer ring nuts to even start as it won't go in far enough, any ideas why this is happening ? any input will greatly be appreciated. thanks

If it`s a clutch type sure-grip the thrust spacer may be jammed up in the center of the unit preventing the axle from going all the way in. Then again sometimes it`s just a matter of removing the parking brake hardware and holding your mouth right.

It's possible the splines aren't aligned properly in the sure-grip. If that's the case you may have to remove the 3rd member and loosen the power-lok case bolts and slip the axles in both sides and re-align the splines and then tighten the case bolts. Note that these bolts are left handed thread.

it is the cone type,I just had it rebuilt with new bearings and races, I guess I will call him tomorrow and mention the alignment as mentioned,I know he has done around 50 or more of them,thanks for the response.

it is the cone type,I just had it rebuilt with new bearings and races, I guess I will call him tomorrow and mention the alignment as mentioned,I know he has done around 50 or more of them,thanks for the response.

Hum..... you'd surely think he aligned them if he's rebuilt that many. I must have mis-read your earlier post thinking it is a clutch type. Doesn't matter though cause a cone type has the same alignment procedure. Good luck.

called the guy today and here is the steps he told me to do. 1 put the drive shaft on and put car in park,slide the axle into the tube,then with a 1/2 breaker bar in between the wheel studs keep turning the axle and it will eventually go into place? well I did as he said and it worked, sure beat the hell out of taking the center back off as I had to put it on by myself and did not want to do it again, thanks to all the posts and maybe this will help someone in the future.

called the guy today and here is the steps he told me to do. 1 put the drive shaft on and put car in park,slide the axle into the tube,then with a 1/2 breaker bar in between the wheel studs keep turning the axle and it will eventually go into place? well I did as he said and it worked, sure beat the hell out of taking the center back off as I had to put it on by myself and did not want to do it again, thanks to all the posts and maybe this will help someone in the future.

Just spent the last 1/2 hour cursing and throwing stuff, I'm gonna go try this now. wish me luck.

12 years later and this just saved my a$$.
Thank you!

I always make sure everything is aligned when I rebuild one. Just common courtesy.

-
Back