8 3/4 vent problem

-

duster-z

Reaction score
i recently put a 8 3/4 in my duster out of a ebody and didnt notice that some one put a normal bolt in the place of the vent bolt . i got lucky and none of the seals blew out and it was just leaking out the threads of the bolts and i over filled it when i put it in just in case it leaked. i drove the car on the highway at 70mph for about 30min and around town a couple of hours before i noticed it leaking. it was still most of the way full of fluid when i opend it and it was pressurized but the sure grip was acting a little weird right before i noticed it . i just put the fluid and additive in a couple weeks ago, but since it got hotter with out a vent should i change it and could it of done any damage to my sure grip unit.

thanks ,Tyler

I would put the proper vent tube in and drive it to see if it functions OK. Without the vent it will pressurize the housing. If your not sure then change the gear lube, and add some friction modifier. What type of suregrip, clutch or cone?

The vent just keeps the seals from leaking with the pressure build up from heat it does nothing for cooling, you just need to remove the bolt

i think it is clutch it has 323gears the center section was out of a aar cuda

This is done all the time on Jeeps that people offroad with. It keeps water out when driving. Like said, should not hurt the performance of the fluid.

-
Back