8 3/4

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I found a 8 3/4 rear end local

Guys says its out if a 71 duster it has springs and backplate

He thinks is a 3.23 rear gear he thinks I can check and see what it is its not a posi

What would the bolt pattarn be on this rear end and could it be made a posi

Whats it worth

'71 Would be a 4" bolt circle originally. Yes it could easily be made into a posi, either by installing a posi type differential in your exsisting center section, or by replacing the center section with a posi equipped unit aka "chunk". If you want to verify the gear ratio w/o taking it apart you can turn the axle 1 complete turn & count the # of times the yoke turns & that will give you an idea. For example, if you tuned the axle 1 complete turn & the pinion yoke turned about 3-1/4 turns you would have the 3.23 gears in it.

5 on 4 pattern. and you would need a SURE GRIP gearset. turn the right side hub one full turn and count how many time the yoke spins . it should be approx. 3 1/4 turns, it is stamped on the ring gear as well. im not going to comment on the value because everyone has their own idea of what they are worth.

damn lonewolf you type fast

whats a posi

What the looooosssser camp use's. LOL!

Good one Psycho!

Dusterkid, after you turn the axles to see if it is a sure grip equipped rear. Take the center section out, rotate the pinion to turn the ring gear. Stamped into the ring gear is the ratio. It is only like 10 or 12 bolts. (Yea, it's been awhile since I have taken one out.)

If it is higher than 3.23, keep the mouth shut and just yes him to death. If not, BARGAINING CHIP!!!

Well, if the price is right, new axles by Yukon, strange etc... are not to much money and stronger.

Well, if the price is right, new axles by Yukon, strange etc... are not to much money and stronger.

Well if I get it for 100 and buy new axles and then a sure grip unit im in it 740 dollars or so. So what would a good 8 3/4 with a sure grip be worth if I bought the hole thing.

I have 1000.oo into mine and it's still non sure grip. As far as I know they didn't make a lbp 83/4 for a-bodys.

Well if I get it for 100 ...

Buy it if you can get it $100!

I have the following in mine (buying a part at a time).

$250 - housing
$200 - BBP axels
$350 - rebuilt clutch 742 sure grip, shock plates, U bolts (which was a deal!)
$300 - brakes

If the guy knows Mopars, you will NOT get that rearend for $100.00. However, you should still buy it and trade it here for an 8 1/4", which would have the LBP you need, and still be plenty strong. I would go as far as saying that you may get an 8 1/4" SG equipped unit in even trade for an 8 3/4" open rear, if all of the components are included in the deal!! Geof

Ok so I found a 8 3/4 rear end local

Guys says its out if a 71 duster it has springs and backplate

He thinks is a 3.23 rear gear he thinks I can check and see what it is its not a posi

What would the bolt pattarn be on this rear end and could it be made a posi

Whats it worth

i sold a 8 3/4 abody rear drum to drum with a open highway gear in it for $500 and i think it was cheap because it went in like 2 days. have seen them for more then that all over the place.

if you want a 8 3/4 3.23 sure grip with big bolt pattern axles you'll probably be looking at $1000 + unless you stumble on a good deal somewhere. just to put big bolt axles into one will cost ya around $400 just for the new axles then you need brakes and if you want a sure grip its even more.

I just did this swap on our Duster , center to center on the perches is 43 "

outer side of hub to outer side of hub is 56 .5 "

Hope this helps

Bob

We had to peice ours together, we paid 500.00 for the rear end ,it was out of a c-body, we paid 500.00 for 3.55 sure grip chunk, we paid another 700.00
to get it cut down to size and new axles, 1700.00 in all, so if you can grab that rear end for 100.00 get it and your way ahead of the game.

Bob

can you tell me the mesuments just so I can make sure its a abody its like 44in right

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html

Housing widths, flange to flange

A BODY
'66-'72= 52 5/8"
----------------------------------

Rear end widths, drum-to-drum:

A BODY
'66-'72= 57 1/8
------------------------------------

Spring perch widths (center-to-center)

A BODY
'66-73= 43"