8/34

-

75ddart

Reaction score
I picked up a 742 case sure grip and wanted to use but I found out that it's missing the buttons or pins that keeps the axles from moving in and out or in adjustment. Can these buttons be put in the suregrip without taking the sure grip apart. Not familiar with the sure grip. any help would be great full. I did find some on ebay so they are available. Thanks.

.............So u have a clutch type sure grip....yes they can easily............u only need them with the factory type tapered bearings......if ur using green bearings[roller bearings] u don't need them.....kim...

Clutch type has thrust buttons that can be put in without taking it apart.

Cone type has a thrust block which requires dis-assembly to put in.

.............So u have a clutch type sure grip....yes they can easily............u only need them with the factory type tapered bearings......if ur using green bearings[roller bearings] u don't need them

Great point!

Yes if you go with the green bearings you won't want them in there cause most of the time your axles will press against them and won't go all the way in. Prob why there missing.

Thanks, that eases my mind some. The guy I had look at it said that I would have to take the whole center section apart including the sure grip to put these buttons in. Gear in question is a 488 and I want to transfer the sure grip to a 741 3.91 gear case. I'm not familiar with the 8/34 but I'm learning. He said that it would all have to come apart to install the buttons and they had to be peened with a hammer to stay in. Thought he knew what he was talking about ect but so far I haven't been impressed. Yes I will be using the taper bearings so they will need to be in place. One other question. I replaced the pinion seal in the 741 case and there was a small shim as it looks like behind the yoke. I put the shim back in and reinstalled the yoke and it seemed tight. So I checked the other 2 741's I have and neither one had this shim. I removed the yoke 0n the center section that I replaced the pinion seal and removed the shim then reinstalled the yoke. Was a little snug still but not like before? This rear has been dry with no lube for about 5 years and was in a plastic bag to protect it. I lubed up the bearings and no it does turn more freely. I honestly don't know if this washer type shim is supposed to be there behind the yoke or not as the other 2 didn't have this shim. Thanks again for the button answers, really helps to know these small things. So far I have been a little leery on his comments on these center section questions. I figured he would be the one to go to as he is an old Mopar hotrodder.

So it IS a clutch type suregrip? Wow, all you have to do is put one button in from each side, slide the pin through and peen the one end of the pin. Done!

Here is what they look like.

Attachments

• differential-pinion-thrust-spacer-kit-1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 234
Awesome replies, thanks again. Glad I asked here as lately I haven't been getting clear answers locally.

So it IS a clutch type suregrip? Wow, all you have to do is put one button in from each side, slide the pin through and peen the one end of the pin. Done!

Here is what they look like.

Exactly. There's no need to disassemble it if it's a clutch type nor is there a need to peen them. When you install them the roll pin holds them tight and once the axles are in place there's no way they can come out.

If your not sure what type sure grip unit it is post a picture of it and we can tell you what it is.

Exactly. There's no need to disassemble it if it's a clutch type nor is there a need to peen them. When you install them the roll pin holds them tight and once the axles are in place there's no way they can come out.

If your not sure what type sure grip unit it is post a picture of it and we can tell you what it is.

Thanks, yes it is the clutch type so all I have to do is get the button kit. I was wondering about the peening once the buttons are in and the pin is installed. I gave it a little thought and to peen the one end of the pin the opposite axle would have to be installed I figure to prevent the pin from pushing out the other end, then I thought well how would the buttons or pin come out when the axle shafts are installed and against the buttons, there would be no way for them to come out. I'm just glad I don't have to disassemble the sure grip to do this. All I want to do is transfer the sure grip from the real low gear 742 case to the 741 case. Eventually I do want to get other gears for the 742 case, but that's in the future. For now I just want to get this together and get the car off the stands.

just swap my center chunk on my 1971 Demon from 3:91 to a 3:23, everything went good, question I have is what determines when I would need to adjust the axles?
Thank you
El Diablo.

just swap my center chunk on my 1971 Demon from 3:91 to a 3:23, everything went good, question I have is what determines when I would need to adjust the axles?
Thank you
El Diablo.

When you put it together. Axle end play needs to be done unless you're running the green axle bearings.

Some of the new thrust button kits come with a roll pin instead of the nail looking kit pictured above. If you buy the thrust buttons and it comes with a roll pin you do not need to peen the end. They are held together by the tight fit.

Some of the new thrust button kits come with a roll pin instead of the nail looking kit pictured above. If you buy the thrust buttons and it comes with a roll pin you do not need to peen the end. They are held together by the tight fit.

Thanks, about an hr. ago I ordered a kit to install. I should have them by the end of the week. Glad they are still available, after inquiring here I'm sure the previous owner must have used the green bearing type of axles since the buttons were missing, never thought to ask. I want to stay with the stock tapered bearings.

Oh so the originals and older ones used a type of nail? I didn't know that. Have had many and they all had the roll pin. Thanks for clarifying that Roy

Oh so the originals and older ones used a type of nail? I didn't know that. Have had many and they all had the roll pin. Thanks for clarifying that Roy

That's why I mentioned to peen them. I haven't seen the ones with a roll pin, lol.

I've ordered them and received both types in the past. I think the OEM buttons used the nail and peen type and all the after market suppliers now sell the roll pins with the buttons. Personally I like the roll pin, they are easier to reuse.

I never heard of 8/34". Can you show me that on a tape measure?

-
Back