8.75 conversion to disc brakes question

-

blmopar1

Reaction score
I have a 8.75 rear, drum brakes in my 69 barracuda and want to convert it to disc brakes with 4.5 bolt pattern.i heard some jeep grand cherokees rears would be work to convert over to my rear. Any help would be great. thanks

I think Ford Explorer rear discs work too, not sure but there are threads about this if you do a search :glasses7:

Yeah there's a sticky in this section with all the information you could possibly need. Some people aren't too happy about putting a Ford rearend in a mopar but you can get a 31 spline, limited-slip 8.8 rear end with disk brakes and a good ratio for ~$200. You want to look for 95-99 explorers. Will have to shorten one side to make em even or pickup rims with a lot of backspacing to compensate for the extra length. Think they're about the same as the B-body housing. Just need new spring perches and widen the holes in your shock plates.

I don't think the O.P. is looking to swap out the entiremail rear, seems to me he's just looking for a set of disc brakes that will bolt to his 8 3/4

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X2NOjQBGG0"]MOPAR REAR DISC ,8.75",9.75" REAR AXLES - YouTube[/ame]

I don't think the O.P. is looking to swap out the entiremail rear, seems to me he's just looking for a set of disc brakes that will bolt to his 8 3/4

Yeah noticed that after the fact, the sad part is that's still probably a cheaper option than a kit for 8.75.

Front rotors from a 94-97 Intrepid based chassis, Cadillac metric calipers with E-brake, Speedway Motors caliper brackets, flex hoses I'll have to check part#s but several applications will work. You may have to true up the inside of the rotors by a few thousandths to fit on the axle flange but not much.... Your emergency brake cables should fit fine if you mount the brackets in the right place.

I have a 8.75 rear, drum brakes in my 69 barracuda and want to convert it to disc brakes with 4.5 bolt pattern.i heard some jeep grand cherokees rears would be work to convert over to my rear. Any help would be great. thanks

Do you already have 4.5 pattern on the axles?

If not, you can get them re-drilled by Moser as long as the axle hub hasn't been disturbed and there is enough meat to allow for it.

I believe it's 65 bucks a pair plus shipping.

For an affordable kit, look here:

http://stores.checkeredracing.com/b...-4-mopar-dana-60-with-drilled-slotted-rotors/

I was finally able to contact the actual shop and get some questions answered.

To find the SHOP number you have to go to the contact us tab and dial the 818 number at the very bottom of the page at the end of the paragraph.

They also sell residual valves if needed and the correct proportioning valve if needed.

Now that I have talked with them, I may try a set myself.

the rear has the original 4" bolt and want to convert to 4.5" so I figured I might as well change the brakes also.If I stay with drums and change to 4.5 what year set up would I need.

the rear has the original 4" bolt and want to convert to 4.5" so I figured I might as well change the brakes also.If I stay with drums and change to 4.5 what year set up would I need.

You have what you need, just get them re-drilled, axles and drums. That's probably the most cost effective way.

I bought a set of disc brake brackets from a Canadian member who was making them. Someone else said they thought the brackets were a knock-off from the Dr Diff Mustang rear disc kit. Never-the-less, I sourced the rotors and calipers and used the LBP A Body axles I already had with the tapered bearings and everything fit like a glove. I will be using this set-up in my 65 Dart wagon.

You have what you need, just get them re-drilled, axles and drums. That's probably the most cost effective way.

All the disk brake kits are set for the larger offset of the original big bolt axles with the 2.5" flange offset. The SBP ones are something like 2". Get new axles. '

I'd get the Dr. Diff Kit. factory proven stuff. Can buy pads and rotors anytime you want.

Thanks Bruce. I will have to call Moser and get a price or is there another place that does it.

I would use Moser. I'm pretty sure it's 65 bucks for a pair of axles (last I talked with them, that's what it was). You will have to ask them about drums, I would assume they could do them (I've never asked), but you know what they say about assuming, lol.

I would also ask them about installing the studs while they are at it.

All the disk brake kits are set for the larger offset of the original big bolt axles with the 2.5" flange offset. The SBP ones are something like 2". Get new axles. '

Interesting.

I do know the kit I linked to is built based on the large bolt pattern axles. To get small BP, they need to be custom ordered.

For me, I may try that kit, less than half the cost, and pads/rotors are available. They are based on GM calipers, pads and rotors.

Not knocking Cass's stuff, it's proven stuff, but when on a budget........

Interesting.

I do know the kit I linked to is built based on the large bolt pattern axles. To get small BP, they need to be custom ordered.

For me, I may try that kit, less than half the cost, and pads/rotors are available. They are based on GM calipers, pads and rotors.

Not knocking Cass's stuff, it's proven stuff, but when on a budget........

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-9910-how-to-install-a-big-bolt-pattern/

That article shows the difference.

If the GM calipers are the Eldorado type like I'm used to seeing (shown below), honestly those are about the world's most horrible rear disk brake calipers. The only ones that could be possibly worse were the ones from '88-94 GM W-bodies.

https://scarebird.com/image/data/IMG_2373.JPG

It's true they are easy to adapt since they were basically designed to go where drums go and also have the "exposed" pins, allowing a more simple fabbed bracket. It's been my experience that the calipers like this (including the Metric fronts) have really high slide force, high drag, and the pins are known for bending slightly or sticking.

The Dr. Diff Mustang Cobra ones should be set it and forget it on a 3 season car.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-9910-how-to-install-a-big-bolt-pattern/

That article shows the difference.

If the GM calipers are the Eldorado type like I'm used to seeing (shown below), honestly those are about the world's most horrible rear disk brake calipers. The only ones that could be possibly worse were the ones from '88-94 GM W-bodies.

https://scarebird.com/image/data/IMG_2373.JPG

It's true they are easy to adapt since they were basically designed to go where drums go and also have the "exposed" pins, allowing a more simple fabbed bracket. It's been my experience that the calipers like this (including the Metric fronts) have really high slide force, high drag, and the pins are known for bending slightly or sticking.

The Dr. Diff Mustang Cobra ones should be set it and forget it on a 3 season car.

Good info, I have been looking (sort of) for a viable option (more wallet friendly). That may not be it, lol.

I bought a set of disc brake brackets from a Canadian member who was making them. Someone else said they thought the brackets were a knock-off from the Dr Diff Mustang rear disc kit. Never-the-less, I sourced the rotors and calipers and used the LBP A Body axles I already had with the tapered bearings and everything fit like a glove. I will be using this set-up in my 65 Dart wagon.

This is probably me that made that kit. In actual fact I was making the disc brake setup long before Dr diff started to make them, but I am glad more people have started to offer better options for the 8 3/4. It has come a long ways since I started making them. Yes Dr diff setup is very similar to mine. Except I leave the sourcing of calipers and rotors to the end user to save on shipping costs

This is probably me that made that kit. In actual fact I was making the disc brake setup long before Dr diff started to make them, but I am glad more people have started to offer better options for the 8 3/4. It has come a long ways since I started making them. Yes Dr diff setup is very similar to mine. Except I leave the sourcing of calipers and rotors to the end user to save on shipping costs

I couldn't remember your user name - yes, it was you who I got the brackets from. As I said everything fit like a glove and I did source the calipers and rotors locally. I had my machine shop guy turn the center of the rotors to fit the LBP axle hubs. I just pulled it all apart the other day as I sold the SG pumpkin to another member. Time to re-assemble it after I check the pumpkin I'm going to use.

-
Back