8.75" Pinion Gear Removal from 489 Case

-
I have bought R&P with broke off bolts from someone doing what you did. I don't know why your having the issue your having as I have been able to use a punch or in some cases use a Dremel tool with a cut off blade to cut a slot in the broken bolt and used a screwdriver to spin them out. But I have never ran a set of gears missing a bolt or two. I have no idea what would be the outcome.

Do not cobble it back together. Do it right or don't do it at all. Without those two bolts the ring gear will flex under load.
Try to remove them as SG said. Not a good idea welding and spot heating the gear.

If they are so tight a right hand tap wouldn't turn them out, maybe loctited or bottomed?
And did you get that broken tap out? Sometimes you can chip them out with a good punch.
If you still can't get the broken bolts out, do you happen to know any toolmakers around that have access to a ram edm?

Thanks for your help guys. I spun them out with a punch and hammer. All that's left is a good clean and reassemble.

20191106_171256.jpg

-
Back