8.75 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion

-
the jeep rotors you need to get would be front vented ones off the box style cherokee, NOT grand cherokee, as those are 6 lug. the boxy small cherokee rotors are 5 bolt 4-1/2" circle a 3" setback, and a 11" diameter and are the same rotor weather its 2WD or 4WD. i should know i just bought a set to do my rear axle. they also slide right onto an 8-3/4" rear axle without trimming or modifying them.

i am going to buy a set of the speedway motors GM style rear calipers with integral park brake. they run $159 a pair brand new complete with pads and pins. the speedway motors weld on caliper mounts for these are 1/4" steel plate and are $9.99 each. i got my rotors used for $15.00 each out of the junk yard, but new they are only about $23.00 each so it wont really break the bank to buy em new anyways.

so for less than 200 bucks you can have 11" diameter rear discs and a killer WOW factor. i also picked up a set of 2-3/4" diameter piston calipers, caliper brackets, 12" rotors and dust shields off a 1978 chrysler cordoba. believe it or not these parts are a direct bolt in on the 73 to 76 A body spindle. i got all this for under $100 along with my cherokee rotors at $15 each. a killer haul, but more importantly i will have a killer 4 wheel disc brake setup for around $350 when all is said and done.
Moparmat200, would you happen to have the part #No. for the GM style brake caliper w/e-brake and maybe the bracket #? I can't seem to find them on Speedway. I have the disc 11" new! just can't find the calipers and brackets!! thanks

I did mine with the rear discs from a grand cherokee.
My thread here in the brakes section has all the details.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo131.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,675
  • Photo133.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,361
  • Photo134.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,339
Try this www.getdiscbrakes.com. I've used the 8 3/4 kit once and the 8 1/4 kit on two Darts. High quality Mopar stuff all brand new, no cobbling no cutting and a very fair price for a complete kit.

yes i have Speedway Motors part numbers for you. well ok i guess its now over $200 for this setup but its still cheap compared to other setups you can do. the calipers used to be sold as a pair for $149 but now speedway sells em each at $99 still a steal for a brand new caliper with integral parking brake, banjo fitting, pads and pins. i think the piston diameter is 2-1/4" so with mounts, and jeep rotors its still around $250. still pretty cheap. tricky part i still havent figured out is getting the park brake cable to adapt. i want to use the stock 67 drum brake cable to actuate it. i have collected the parts but have not done this swap yet as i have a 67 C body 8-3/4 axle and still need to have it narrowed before i weld on the brackets. anyway heres the part numbers of the speedway pieces u need.

speedway GM caliper part number #910-31046-SIDE ( you pick L/H or R/H on the side)
this is a loaded GM type metric caliper and comes with pads, pins and E brake. accepts GM or Lokar type parking brake cables. also comes with 10MM-1.5 banjo fittings. $99.95 each

Speedway weld on caliper bracket part number #916-41009
78 up metric weld on caliper bracket for any 3" steel axle tube $9.99 each

since the Jeep rotors are a little smaller in thickness than the typical GM rotor you may have to make some shims to go behind the brake pads to shim them to the proper clearances to the rotors

speedway also sells a nice wilwood adjustable proportioning valve block with brake light switch built in to dial in a 4 wheel disc setup. all ports on it are 3/8-24" inverted flare female.

part number on this is #835-26011179 and is $56.99

yes i have Speedway Motors part numbers for you. well ok i guess its now over $200 for this setup but its still cheap compared to other setups you can do. the calipers used to be sold as a pair for $149 but now speedway sells em each at $99 still a steal for a brand new caliper with integral parking brake, banjo fitting, pads and pins. i think the piston diameter is 2-1/4" so with mounts, and jeep rotors its still around $250. still pretty cheap. tricky part i still havent figured out is getting the park brake cable to adapt. i want to use the stock 67 drum brake cable to actuate it. i have collected the parts but have not done this swap yet as i have a 67 C body 8-3/4 axle and still need to have it narrowed before i weld on the brackets. anyway heres the part numbers of the speedway pieces u need.

speedway GM caliper part number #910-31046-SIDE ( you pick L/H or R/H on the side)
this is a loaded GM type metric caliper and comes with pads, pins and E brake. accepts GM or Lokar type parking brake cables. also comes with 10MM-1.5 banjo fittings. $99.95 each

Speedway weld on caliper bracket part number #916-41009
78 up metric weld on caliper bracket for any 3" steel axle tube $9.99 each

since the Jeep rotors are a little smaller in thickness than the typical GM rotor you may have to make some shims to go behind the brake pads to shim them to the proper clearances to the rotors

speedway also sells a nice wilwood adjustable proportioning valve block with brake light switch built in to dial in a 4 wheel disc setup. all ports on it are 3/8-24" inverted flare female.

part number on this is #835-26011179 and is $56.99
Thanks moparmat2000, These part numbers will help out greatly!! Good luck on your build!

Just ordered their complete Rear Conversion Kit with calipers with Parking Brake provision,Slotted & Dimpled rotors, brake lines, Parking Brake Cable adapter etc, Their rotors are 11 1/4" and will fit with a 15" Steel Mopar wheel FYI.

Scarebird uses the same calipers as TSMMFG, which are Cadillac Eldorado calipers.

Reviving an old thread, I know..

I'm looking at going with TSM, getting the propitiatory brackets and rotors and then buying the calipers, lines, and pads locally to avoid shipping costs and to have the warranty locally handled if needed.

Is the cross reference vehicle an 89 Cadillac Eldorado for the hoses and calipers?

even cheaper and sticking with the stock axles, bearings, and everything .....

just buying the replacement caliper (salvage yard), pads and rotors plus the 120 brackets and you are laughing.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=128394

also alot of kits require the use of green bearings .... which as noted in a tech article from mopar action are not meant for turning corners .... just straight line acceleration.

I am surprised that Tripod Dog hasn't joined in to criticize anyone for this.
He seems to be happy as a pig in crap with his 4 wheel drums, while bashing others that try to deviate from factory stock.

Dr. Diff aka Cass Erlick has a set of Rear disc brake kits for $625 including the parking brake cables. Don't know how well it works though as my rear end is still getting narrowed.

Reviving an old thread, I know

Where da 14" Rim kits @? I aint using no steenkin 15" trims... :lol:

-
Back