8.8 Explorer rear in early A body?

-
Reaction score
I have been thinking about putting a 3.55 limited slip rear with disc brakes in my 65 Cuda (I already have discs on the front). Just wondering if anybody out there has done this swap and what it involves?

It involves cutting one side (the long side) of the axle down to the same size as the short side, using another short side axle in what used to be the long side, moving the spring perches and shock mountings, and having your driveline modded to fit.
On the up side, the ebrake cable is easy to connect to the existing system in the A body.

Have not done it, but researched it quite a bit as a possibility for my car, and have seen pics of the finished job.

What width does the narrowed 8.8 end up being? I wanna run wheels with more backspace.....this might help.

Reading some older posts here, I found that you can upgrade a 8.25 with Jeep GC discs and guts and get you the same finished product.

NO NO, the parking brakes for the DRUM 8.8 will connect to early a-body, but he said rear disc brakes. They require custom length parking brake cables at the housing. The 8.25 is a nice swap, but not as strong as 8.8. On the plus side you can buy a new Ford Racing posi for 300 dollars. If you use the short axles on each side it comes to about the factory width, standard back spacing rims area. I have read that if you move the springs inboard then the Explorer leaf mounts work as is. I did use 2 short axles and had core 8.8 rebuilt with new 3.27 posi and rear discs on a 66 Barracuda. Other then the TTI exhaust install being too close(without work) the rear end is very servicable for the future repairs. Warning--- costs total ran about 1800 complete with drive shaft cut for barracuda and parking brake cables from Inline Tube.

Wouldn't a foxbody mustang 8.8 be a better fit? It would need the correct axle purches I think. There is also the Lincoln Versailles which is a Mustang bolt in, but not sure how easy to find these days. I would search for rear disc options for 70 Mustangs. The 70 8" is the same as the original 7.5" from my 65.

The price of Mustang parts in a wrecking yard vs. Explorer rears is quite a bit differennt. 9 inch 64-65 Mustangs and Maverick 8 inches could fit also, but Explorers are everywhere. The rear I got was 4.11 because I really was going for rebuildable core. Aluminum driveshaft was 1 inch too long and cleaned up fast and looks great also.

Now on my b-body 8 3/4 to get 3.23 gears and posi unit pumkin it will run me about 1200 dollars. If I did not have the 11 inch drum brakes and green bearings already, I would get another 8.8 for that car.

8.25 rear in my 65 formula s fit nice exact fit no issues now got nice 14 inch rally wheels all the way around. Front disc brake change also with dual master cylinder. Modern update to make it safe and fun to drive. 318 4bbl rocks hard and runs well! Soon a little body work and paint for the final finish. Also redo electrical system for a final finish it will be a new car! Mopar or no car!

65cudalover!

Mustang 8.8 has the correct width (same short axle both sides) Just put Mopar perches on it. Get Spicer 1350 bolt on flange or graft Ford joint end on your driveshaft. Dont know why you want disk out back, but the Ford LS is cheap. The long side is about 3" longer than the short, thats how much you have to section out.

-
Back