8.8 swap

-
Stock small block 68-72 driveshaft is what i have. Pulled from a slanty car, i am assuming the u joints are the same as a 318

So 1310 u joint will fit my stock driveshaft, and the spicer adaptor?

I'm not so savvy on the u joint numbering system.

Oh ok. I am just going by catalog numbers. Supposedly slanty to 340 in my catalog are the same joint. How that equates to a 1310 i dunno. Will look at the driveshaft later.

Anybody use the ford 8.8 and not have to cut down their driveshaft? Or if cutting it down, how far did you have to go. Reason i ask, is i have a 71 dart driveshaft i will need to cut down for a 69 cuda with an A904. I have a chart with length dimensions for that provided a stock rear axle is used, but if a little more is needed say 1 more inch, that would be handy to know.

Oh ok. I am just going by catalog numbers. Supposedly slanty to 340 in my catalog are the same joint. How that equates to a 1310 i dunno. Will look at the driveshaft later.

Anybody use the ford 8.8 and not have to cut down their driveshaft? Or if cutting it down, how far did you have to go. Reason i ask, is i have a 71 dart driveshaft i will need to cut down for a 69 cuda with an A904. I have a chart with length dimensions for that provided a stock rear axle is used, but if a little more is needed say 1 more inch, that would be handy to know.

I emailed you a chart for measuring your driveshaft.

Thank you. That helps me a lot. I will be printing this out for my shop reference book. I have a 3 ring binder with clear sleeves. I put stuff like this in there. I have a chart with stock mopar driveshaft lengths for different car lines, with different transmissions and rear axles as well.

I just saw an episode of "Hotrod Garage" where that had a mid 60's ford truck on a 90's crown vic frame. I assume it was an 8.8, and they installed an Auburn limited slip carrier.

They just removed the cover, pulled the c clips, slid out the axles, pulled the carrier, and ring gear, swapped the ring gear to the limited slip unit.....and bolted it back together.

No adjustments of any kind.

Is that for real?

I theory all parts were the same parts minus the diff. I would have checked things after but they get to play with cars at the cost of someone else. Sounds super fun. If it breaks they get to fix it again on someone else dollar again.

I've only ever worked on 8 3/4 axles.

When you remove the center unit, you automatically have to do preload and all that, right?

mesh pattern, etc, even if you don't change the gears.

I always thought, anyway.

194F3A3F-3487-41A8-998F-6B7E87F0D256.png
17 1/4" is that tube flange to center of the new perch, or inboard side of perch?

So on the bearings, do i get them for an F150 truck?

Anybody make C clip eliminator kits for these?
. Yes they do make c-clip eliminators. They are 9” axle flanges with bearings. You will have to cut off and weld these on. But for explorer these are for mustang.

View attachment 1715205118 . Yes they do make c-clip eliminators. They are 9” axle flanges with bearings. You will have to cut off and weld these on. But for explorer these are for mustang.

Mustangs are 28 spline and Explorers are 31 not sure if that makes a difference on the
C-Clip eliminators...haven’t dove that far into them yet!

Diff cover showed up. Another piece to the puzzle. Now were is my diff rebuild kit and my new yoke?

473FCB9E-4195-4DC7-A3D4-C7A016BB0A2C.jpeg

You can also get the vented cover with a fill hole and a drain hole off of the Newer IRS Explorers. You will have to trim it a bit but it still bolts up to it. If anyone is at the pic n pull just take it off one and swap it. You won’t be charged for it.

I like your fab table. Thats cool.
Thank you. I was lucky to score it off a local classified ads here in Utah for 20 bucks. The frame is strong and the casters are solid. For some reason they put 18 gauge down as the top. So I cut that off and put a 4 by 4 sheet of 3/16 on it. Total into it 100 bucks. Well worth it.

Picked up this kit w koyo bearings off evilbay on a 15% off one day sale $65 shipped. Also during this sale i picked up a yukon gear crush sleeve eliminator $45, and a yukon gear clutch kit with friction modifier, and new cross pin bolt for $56 both with free shipping as well. This is going under my sons car with a mild 318, A904 combo so i'm sure the 31 spline axles and non carbon fiber yukon clutches will be fine.

Started cutting off the brackets and grinding the welds down flat. Got the 2 trailering arm brackets off and done. Will be doing away with the rest of them this weekend. I dont plan on doing a spring relocation on this car however. I have mopar performance spring perches i plan on using. They are for a 3" tube but they fit pretty damn close.

Got a few questions. How well do these axles fit with the long tube shortened to wqual length without a spring relocation kit in regards to the brake calipers. Is there enough clearance? The width center to center on my perches is 43" . Just eyeballing that with a tape measure it looks close especially when cutting 2&7/8" out of the long tube. Was measuring to get and idea where to cut mine. Was thinking to make the cut and splice where thr LH spring perch would straddle it to help with strength.

I also hit up rockauto for rear flex lines for the calipers, rotors, pads, caliper rebuild kits, parking brake shoes, hardware kits for shoes and calipers, and a 457 U joint. When the smoke clears i am prob going to be into this thing about $450 done and rebuilt w all new parts. Thats a number i can definitely live with. Still concidering another xploder 8.8 for under my 67, and selling my fully rebuilt/restored never used 3.73 and locker 8.75 A body rear for $1600 lol

20180901_164420.jpg

20180901_105931.jpg

20180901_105937.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 1715205118 . Yes they do make c-clip eliminators. They are 9” axle flanges with bearings. You will have to cut off and weld these on. But for explorer these are for mustang.
Kit i saw by strange was made for the 8.8 flanges, no need to weld on some from a 9"axle for that kit. Stated it would work with any 8.8 axle measuring 1.4000" diameter. Disnt say if it would work with rear discs though. Said up to 04 mustang and cobra R . Those had rear discs. I bet they had caliper mounted parking brakes though where the xploder rears use a shoe brake type parking brake.

-
Back