8" vs 9.5" converter

-

scampy

Reaction score
Moving to an 8" converter from our 9.5 just wondering what kind of differences I might see.Will it turn more rpm through the traps?Will car react the same off the line for reaction times etc.Also it will have a mechanical diode any thoughts on that from experience.This is in a small block scamp mid 11"s with the 9.5

More rpms at the same mph? It's really hard to say what it will do. Was the old one right for the combo? Is the new one?

I ran a Edge Racing Converters 9.5" behind my 408 and went a bunch of 1.38 60'. I finally killed it, but it was only a $450-475 converter in it's defense.

I now have almost $1500 in my current 8" Ultimate and can't honestly say it works better. There have been other issues with the car though. I'll find out when it cools down some.

When I was running a 360/380 hp crate motor I was running a 9.5 PTC convertor and my best ET was a 7.45. I bought a PTC 8in 5000 stall and went a best of 7.27. Most of the gain was the 60 ft. The 8 in. was a custom convertor built for a 12-1 Indy headed motor. It cost $830.00. I was surprised it picked up that much in the stock motor, I shifted it at 5600 rpm.

When I was running a 360/380 hp crate motor I was running a 9.5 PTC convertor and my best ET was a 7.45. I bought a PTC 8in 5000 stall and went a best of 7.27. Most of the gain was the 60 ft. The 8 in. was a custom convertor built for a 12-1 Indy headed motor. It cost $830.00. I was surprised it picked up that much in the stock motor, I shifted it at 5600 rpm.

What kinda of 60' was it doing,we are at 1.56 now

More rpms at the same mph? It's really hard to say what it will do. Was the old one right for the combo? Is the new one?

I ran a Edge Racing Converters 9.5" behind my 408 and went a bunch of 1.38 60'. I finally killed it, but it was only a $450-475 converter in it's defense.

I now have almost $1500 in my current 8" Ultimate and can't honestly say it works better. There have been other issues with the car though. I'll find out when it cools down some.

Did you have to change your start line rpm to stay good with reaction times? Time will tell I guess if new is better suited than old.Have the same basic combo as we did when getting the 9.5 sent it back once and they gave it all it could have for stall. We looked around a bit
this year and everyone was saying the 8" with something around 5k stall

I leave at 2000 pretty much all the time and couldn't tell any difference in rt.

Sorry I don't remember the 60 ft. I am running the same 8 in. now behind a 394 ci and my best with it has been 1.33.

I leave off idle with my PTC 5500rpm 8" and have no problems with consistent R/T, at least not from the converter :-o

Ok so I can answer some of my own questions now.We have gone 1.5 tenths faster than with old converter,apprx 1 mph faster in 1/4 and are running 2-300 rpm more through traps.Reaction times have been fine.ran 3 races and went to 2 finals and a 4th place finish,car is really doing well and very consistant,i'll add cal tracs working well too,60' only vary apprx .010 all day/night

-
Back