80's 360 police eng

-

ronw

Reaction score
Thinking of putting a 360 Police engine in my Grandsons 68 Valiant and have parts to put a 4 speed behind it. Any problems I may run into for this combination?

You'll need 360 mounts,different radiator and a 360 flex plate for the converter and trans..if it's a /6 car for starters

You'll need 360 mounts,different radiator and a 360 flex plate for the converter and trans..if it's a /6 car for starters
he said he was putting a 4 speed behind it.

he said he was putting a 4 speed behind it.
I like donuts! What is the difference between a SB flywheel, 318,340,360. I have some flywheels but not sure to what they go to as far as block size. How do you tell what or which one to use? I know the flywheels I have are for 340's. How do you make them work or just buy a 360 flywheel? Maybe one for a three speed trans?

The car was a six cyc but have conversion mount to SB. Not sure of pilot bearing size or if drilled. I thought someone made pilots bearings to fit an Auto trans crank? I guess I need to check into that first before going further.

i use the jeep pilot bearing napa # fc69907 . fits in the converter register hole in the crank . you may have to shorten you input shaft bearing area if the crank holes are not deep enough . and 360 engine are not totally internally balanced , they need flywheel weight to get them in balance , there are many sites that can show you the correct way it must be done , usually its done by removing material from the flywheel by drilling the right size holes at the right depth in the right spots on the rear of that flywheel .

i use the jeep pilot bearing napa # fc69907 . fits in the converter register hole in the crank . you may have to shorten you input shaft bearing area if the crank holes are not deep enough . and 360 engine are not totally internally balanced , they need flywheel weight to get them in balance , there are many sites that can show you the correct way it must be done , usually its done by removing material from the flywheel by drilling the right size holes at the right depth in the right spots on the rear of that flywheel .
Is this balance process done by a machine shop, say the same time as having the flywheel machined flat?

its a balancing thing , engine machine shops maybe have a balancing set up , bobb weight setup , race machine shops should have the equipment to handle both operations . you've got a circle track or drag racing in your local area , your for sure have a shop that can do it . and as i said the info is out there , maybe a local would trade you .

Anyone wanna suggest a decent cam for this engine?

My Son wants to put a little shake in it before it goes into the car... not overly concerned with power at this point, just don't wanna lose it...

The old Direct Connection engine book has the procedure and picture of where and what size and how deep to drill to modify a standard 340 flywheel to work on a 360

any junk flywheel that you have will need resurfacing and lord knows the stress cracks your going to find? for your grandson? 440 source has new ones sent to your front door for under $200 my2

Who's on first ? :realcrazy:
Anyone wanna suggest a decent cam for this engine?

My Son wants to put a little shake in it before it goes into the car... not overly concerned with power at this point, just don't wanna lose it...

-
Back