833 od 4 speed

-

Roger A Watts

Reaction score
i have an over drive 4 speed with a 5.10 inch bearing retainer can I put this in my 73 340 duster with a different bell housing?

Depending on the bell housing you have,you could.Check the diameter of the yoke hole you have with your bell housing.You may need to bore or have a collar made to take up any spacing between the two.Mrmopartech

Your choses are; 1) to find a bell housing with the large hole, 2) have the bell housing you have machined out or, 3) to purchase the 4.8" 308 bearing retainer to swap onto the OD tranny.

I was fortunate that I was able to swap a 4.8" sb block bellhousing even up for an OD bell housing when I swapped the \6 for a 360 in my Barracuda.

thanks for info I found a bell housing on ebay hopfully it will work with out any surprises

The bellhousing you'll need for it is casting number 3743959 and fits 1974-'80 F,J, M and A bodies with the large bearing retainer hole.
This is often referred to as the "overdrive bellhousing".

I have one available.

Mark.

I boughta 833od trans for cheap $$, had it looked at and rebuilt for more $$, needed new clutch, more $$, didn't fit bell housing, found one on e-bay, more $$, now i find the drive shaft yolk is to big to fit, what do I need to make this work? too much $$ to quit now

I have heard some of the early 833 OD trans's used the 904 automatic yoke. Try that. You could have turned the bearing retainer down to 4.8 to fit your bellhousing. I did that with mine and it works great. If you ever go to a blow proof bellhousing, keep that in mind. They use the 4.8 hole.

All of the A833 trannies including the OD used the same yoke as the 727 tranny. This should be readily available at any drive shaft shop with either the small or large u-joint.

dgc333 said:
All of the A833 trannies including the OD used the same yoke as the 727 tranny.

Not the overdrive A, or F body ones.
MOST of those use the 904 yoke.
The exception to this is the '75 and early '76 IRON cased ones, of which SOME of those still used the 904 yoke.
ALL of the aluminum ones for the A and F bodies used the 904 type yoke.

The PICK-UP and VAN O.D. trans. (I.D.-ed by 2 shifter mount pads) used the 727 yoke, but aren't an easy fit to an A body, due to their overall length and the shifter mounting pad's position.

Mark.

don't want to steel the thread, but what is the spline count on the output shafts that use the 904 and 727? I got a tranny and no yoke also...

dgc333 said:
All of the A833 trannies including the OD used the same yoke as the 727 tranny. This should be readily available at any drive shaft shop with either the small or large u-joint.

From what I've learned from Jamie at Passon performance is that the 66 and 67 A-bodies with the 833 used the 904 smaller yoke also, before getting the bigger 727 yokes.

Lee

Yes on the 66 small output shaft. I found that out the hard way in the early 80s.

yeah, my 833 od is a 727 yoke...sucks though because I run the 904 right now and was hopping to swap some parts around, oh well...

One other thing worth mentioning. The ball stud bracket that bolts to your current bell housing if used on the OD bell housing will result in the z-bar sitting at an angle up and to the rear of the car. Brewers has the correct ball stud bracket for $29.

You don't need another bellhousing. Take the bearing retainer off and have it turned down to the size hole in the bell you have. If it is the medium size hole, you will be OK. The OD is the large size retainer. go to www.slantsix.org they have a good tech artical. just my 2 cents- if you turn down the ratainer, when you blow up the trans, you can swap a close ratio right in.

You can only turn down the retainer to 4.80" because of the bolt pattern. Most small block car bells are 4.35".

Chuck

-
Back