87 360 Dipstick Tube in 67 273?

-

DocHolliday1995

Reaction score
I have been rebuilding a 273 and the engine is ready to go in but the dipstick tube was broken off. I removed the rest of the tube that was stuck down in the block. I am going to fire it this week, but without the tube I assume it is going to spew oil everywhere. I have a 1987 360 that still has it's dipstick tube, will it fit into the 273? I would think all small blocks have the same style tube. Or does anyone know a parts store chain that stocks them? Thanks everybody.

I have been rebuilding a 273 and the engine is ready to go in but the dipstick tube was broken off. I removed the rest of the tube that was stuck down in the block. I am going to fire it this week, but without the tube I assume it is going to spew oil everywhere. I have a 1987 360 that still has it's dipstick tube, will it fit into the 273? I would think all small blocks have the same style tube. Or does anyone know a parts store chain that stocks them? Thanks everybody.
Truck and van dip stick tubes are different due to oils pans and easy reach accessing through the hood.

Don't count any aftermarket or other engine's tube and stick to be the right length. Before you fire it off, check the dipstick and see if the marks line up with the proper fill of oil in the engine. If the correct fill of oil shows higher than the dipstick marks, then the dipstick is too long and has the potential to get wrapped in the crank. Shorten it so that only an inch or 2 extends below the proper fill level and put on a new mark.

Don't count any aftermarket or other engine's tube and stick to be the right length. Before you fire it off, check the dipstick and see if the marks line up with the proper fill of oil in the engine. If the correct fill of oil shows higher than the dipstick marks, then the dipstick is too long and has the potential to get wrapped in the crank. Shorten it so that only an inch or 2 extends below the proper fill level and put on a new mark.
True,
But the MP one I posted reads correct in my engine.

I grab dipstick tubes from any Mopar small block and just adjust length and marks to read correctly. The factory ones fit way better.

I took it out and cut it to the same length as the previous one. I broke the bottom off inside the block so I could measure from the lip that sits on the block to the top of the original dipstick. I could have ordered one but I didn't want to wait for it to arrive. Thanks for all of your input everyone!

-
Back