My Cure for Broken Leaking Dipsticks

-

Jadaharabi

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got tired of replacing dipsticks tubes every time I pulled an engine that had a cracked or broken one. The fix is best applied while the oil pan is off. At that time you can also drive the broken off piece, of old tube, out of the passage in the block with a hammer and a punch. A little brake cleaner and compressed air clears the metal partials away.

You don’t have to drill anything because the hole in the block is already the right size for tapping to 1/8 NPT. You tap it about ¾ inch deep. Then when you are done with assembling the engine, screw in the fitting with loc-tite on the threads. The fitting is a 1/8 NPT – 3/8 compression fitting.

Next measure the length of the broken off piece. Insert the broken piece or a new tube in to the fitting and mark the length off from the block to whatever your measurement was and cut it with a tubing cutter. With the tube inserted in to the fitting tighten the compression nut.

Do not over tighten the fitting into the block it is brass and to much force will break it. I don’t leave the fitting in the block until it’s time to assembly the front of the engine because the fitting is the thing sticking out the farthest. If you set the block with the front down, you can break it.

You now have a removable dipstick tube, that won’t crack at the base where the tube goes in to the block.

View attachment dipstick2.jpg

View attachment dipstick4.jpg

View attachment dipstick5.jpg

Something..........to tuck away.........for later........and hope ya don' forgit.........

THANKS!!

If I had a chronic problem breaking off the tube every time I pulled an engine, (which I haven't) I'd pull the tube before pulling the engine, re-use the tube., won't cost any time or money. jmo

cheers

More times than not if you pull the tube you will crack it or break it. I don't have a chronic problem breaking tubes, because I now remove mine with a wrench.

More times than not if you pull the tube you will crack it or break it. I don't have a chronic problem breaking tubes, because I now remove mine with a wrench.

More times than not, if you pull the tube, it'll be fine..

We replaced dozens and dozens, prob over 100 engines for Sears over about a decade, Think I replaced less than a dozen tubes, loose one's you tin with solder, cracked or broken ones, replaced..

cheers

We replaced dozens and dozens, prob over 100 engines for Sears over about a decade, Think I replaced less than a dozen tubes, loose one's you tin with solder, cracked or broken ones, replaced..

cheers

hughs has had this on their website for yrs. !

where the heck was this 4 days ago!!? ..rasafraka stupid.. LOL - I have one of those aftermarket steel braided $55 units (it came with it so...) - had to cut the block insert piece off about a 1/4", then took a wrench and a hammer - fitted the wrench around the base and tapped it into the block using the hammer on the edge of the wrench AND I put some Permatex grey around the hole... time will tell if it works.

WATCH your angles. I tried to relocate my stick handle and the crank ate it. Was OK until I revved it. HA HA !

Nice job ! The pics tell it all ! Good info.

Here's another fine mess I've gotten myself into !

cheers

Did not realize sears did engines. Great job on saving the dipstick tubes. You probably won't need to use my repair very often then.

WATCH your angles. I tried to relocate my stick handle and the crank ate it. Was OK until I revved it. HA HA !

Nice job ! The pics tell it all ! Good info.

Here's another fine mess I've gotten myself into !

I've never had that happen. Thank you Lord. My best wishes to you and your engine.

-
Back