88-91 (92?) 360 blocks "hydr liftr" vice retro fitting older LA blocks

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
Can these be bored out to .040? or is .030 generally the max? What's are your experiences with these blocks?

I have an extra set of hypereutectic pistons at .040 and am in the process of getting some 308 heads...

Is it that much harder to run hydraulic roller lifters on the older LA small blocks?

What is there to retro fitting a 'hydraulic roller lifter' set up on the older blocks?

thanks!!!

curious as to:

Honestly, its not a big deal. I retro fitted Hughes Engines lifters into a '68ish block last year. The retro fit lifters use a link bar between pairs of lifters, rather than a spider plate in the valley to prevent the lifters from rotating. Although the link bars are shaped to clear the bumps in the block casting I still had to break out the grinder as the link bar pivots fouled the block. An hour of work and I was done.

If you have a roller block the only way to really know how much beyond +.030" it will go is sonic testing. Others may have experience of these blocks so I'll let them chime in.

No, it's no big deal except when pricing out retro fit hydraulic rollers vs. the stock style hydraulic rollers you can use when you have a roller block. These are the lifters that Comp recommended for my cam Comp Pro Magnum Hydraulic Roller Lifters. They are $529 from Summit Racing.

Because I had a roller block, I bought a set of new Melling hydraulic roller lifters for less than $100. I had to buy a used spider for $30, and a set of dog bones from Hughes Engines for $60. Total cost was around $200 shipped for everything.

These engines aren't that tough to find. I posted a link to one on my local Craigslist a while back, but no one seemed interested. Best bang for your buck in my opinion if you're wanting to build a roller cammed 360 or 408.

No button necessary. You probably wouldn't have any problems going .040 on any 360 block, but I would let a machine shop make that determination.

-
Back