9" drum self adjusters

-

desy500

Reaction score
I replaced everything on both axles last winter , had the front drums turned , the brakes seem to be working fine , after 20 -30 miles of stop and go driving a clicking started in right front wheel. Pulled the drum and found that the self adjusting cable had slipped behind the cable guide , and the star adjuster was able to spin both ways. Simple fix , sunday , driving home from a show the left front started the same thing , Pulled the wheel , same issue. Any idea's why they would come off like that? Should the cable always go behind the 2 shoe retainer springs on the top pin ? or can it go between the 2 springs?

YEP, T shaped shoe keeper first then cable with flat side to the keeper, then the spring that has the cable guide so it holds the tiny neck on that guide in the hole of the shoe and tight against the shoe. If that tiny neck on the guide doesn't hold the guide in the right place, the guide can drop just enough to let the adjust paw drop and not function properly.

Thanks guys , another dumb question from the old rookie , after going over everything again I see the shop manual shows a brake shoe plate that goes on the top pin before the shoes , I don't have them on my 9 inch brakes , should they be there? And it looks like the self adjuster lever ( plate ) I got in the kit from classic industry was the issue , not a perfect match for the old one , so I put the old one back on the left front , and it seems to be working correctly now. First time I purchased from Classic , is there a better place for good quality parts?

I don't know of anything behind the shoes at top pin.

Re post #4, it confused me too. The 10" drums on my 65 have a diamond washer that goes over the shoe ends, before installing the spring. Didn't find it when fooling with the 9" drums on my 64, so I started cussing about the gomers losing them. Made sense since they had installed the shoes wrong (two long linings on one side, shorts on other), which was why I was in there. Then I checked the FSM and saw the 9" don't have the diamond washer. Are you sure you looked at the correct photos in the FSM?, but perhaps I saw it in Google Images.

Re post #4, it confused me too. The 10" drums on my 65 have a diamond washer that goes over the shoe ends, before installing the spring. Didn't find it when fooling with the 9" drums on my 64, so I started cussing about the gomers losing them. Made sense since they had installed the shoes wrong (two long linings on one side, shorts on other), which was why I was in there. Then I checked the FSM and saw the 9" don't have the diamond washer. Are you sure you looked at the correct photos in the FSM?, but perhaps I saw it in Google Images.

I was reading the step by step to change the brakes , and they talked about putting it on first , but no part # for one in the book for 9 " just for the bigger ones . Ya think they would mention that . :eek:ops:

-
Back