9" drums

-

JaysNMDustr

Reaction score
Can someone send me a step by step in replacing spindle bearings inner outer and getting on spjndle nut washer etc. 1970 duster front 9" drums.
Yet another reason i need to order a service manual.

Attachments

• image-3917614679.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 124
I usually pull the drum part way out & push back, and the outers fall in your hand. For the inners, you first pry the grease seal out with a screwdriver. Place newspaper underneath all around and have plenty of new paper and change it often. I clean all old grease off the spindle and inside the hub with paper towels, then gasoline. I clean bearings by running them over a freebie newspaper magazine and turning the page often. I would leave the races alone if they look pristine, but if any pits, replace them. You can knock them out with a flat screwdriver, but a brass drift is better. There are two small notches on the step shoulder to set the drift, and keep changing sides so you don't **** the race. Start the new race with a hammer or socket, but be sure to not let it **** in the bore. If you have an exact size socket, use that or tap around the outside slowly. Don't rest a socket on the center of the race (don't mar it). Keep tapping until you seat it fully. Don't use any lubricant, indeed best to clean to "squeaky metal" with gasoline. WD-40 might be OK. You don't want the race ever spinning in the hub. Pack the new bearings fully with grease, jamming it in all around under the retainer with your finger until it oozes out the other side. Don't just sissy-coat the surface. I prefer black moly grease. Tap the grease seal until just flush, not too deep. Pack grease inside the hub too. When you tighten the spindle nut take extra care, spinning the hub and just slightly tighten with a Crescent wrench, then (not spinning) back off and tighten finger tight, then back up to the next hole that fits the cotter pin. There should be maybe the slightest perceptible play in the hub. If you over-tighten, it will fail in maybe 10 miles (read a recent post). I recall the manual covers most of this, but works for all cars I have owned.

I stick a wooden hammer handle though the front bearing opening and tap the inner bearing to pop the seal out. I have never pulled an inner bearing without have to get the seal out of my way.

You can download a '70 manual for free from MyMopar:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Der linkey

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1970_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

Now you DO have to play with page numbers, as this manual shows consecutive page no's in your viewer, where of course the factory used "dash" numbering.

Brakes page 145

Wheels--bearings--tires page 998

Very VERY important to get the bearings adjusted properly

Page 105 says 90 inch pounds but this is for the large body cars. "A" bodies are spec'd at 70 inch pounds. INCH, not foot. That info is the "tightening reference" on page 1010

Thanks for the play by play and links.

Previously When i replaced front end bushings i tightened spindle nut too much and luckily the tire didnt fall off but the outer bearings came apart blew off the cap and spindle nut stripped the spindle.

-
Back