9 inch Drum Assembly Help

-

socaldart64

Reaction score
Brakes were torn apart when i got it. Does anyone have pictures of the correct way the springs and pads need to be installed? Its for a 64 Dart.
Thanks

The factory shop manual has diagrams for both front and rear 9 in brakes in the brake section. You do have a FSM, right? If not, you can go to MyMopar and download many different years of FSMs which will all show the diagrams.

And -- I have ALL of that Brand New -- N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes for
Fronts (9" x 2 1/2") and Rears (9" x 2") and all the wheel cylinders, brake hoses,
brake hardware -- combi kits and adjuster kits -- and BRAKE DRUMS N.O.S. U.S.A.!!!!!!

You are welcome to call me --**PHONE # REMOVED BY STAFF** Craig -- New York....

Make sure the adjusters are on correct side, other wise the "self adjusters" will just "unadjust" the shoes LOL

The Mopar 9" drum brakes are the worse brakes I have ever driven. I found them to be downright unsafe. I nearly wrecked my car 3 times in the first few weeks of ownership, because it was so much slower to stop than other cars on the road. Yes, these were freshly rebuilt and properly adjusted. The car would even start to skid different wheels at different times, but still didn't seem to be slowing down.

Swapped over to 4 wheel discs and BBP wheels. Used 11 3/4" police taxi rotors up front and Dr Diffs econ rear disc kit out back. One of the first and greatest improvements I ever made to the car. The combo has saved my bacon a few times on the open road.

I am trying to get my '64 Valiant station wagon back on the road, and am wondering about the brakes. For now, I am using the 9" drums F & R, with new drums, shoes, cylinders, hoses, hardware kits, and self-adjusters. My 1964 Plymouth Factory Service Manual shows the 9" brake to have one type of self-adjuster - not left and right hand. But the parts books (local retail stores) show left and right hand kits. Was this a change? Seems like L & R is a better way to go, but I'd like some confirmation that it's correct.

the FSM is the correct setup.

9 inch brakes!!!!???? safe? NO they will not stop as quick as a "disc" or a "modern" car. true. BUT....

if you drive in the country. small town like me, its NO problem, IF I don't fly up to a stop sign at 70 mph and slam on the brakes and expect to stop in 10 feet! might I add like my 35 yr old daughter drives!!!!!!! ha

I asked her how many brake jobs does she pay off every year!!?????? I got a
dirty" look. no comment.

The Mopar 9" drum brakes are the worse brakes I have ever driven. I found them to be downright unsafe. I nearly wrecked my car 3 times in the first few weeks of ownership, because it was so much slower to stop than other cars on the road. Yes, these were freshly rebuilt and properly adjusted. The car would even start to skid different wheels at different times, but still didn't seem to be slowing down.

Swapped over to 4 wheel discs and BBP wheels. Used 11 3/4" police taxi rotors up front and Dr Diffs econ rear disc kit out back. One of the first and greatest improvements I ever made to the car. The combo has saved my bacon a few times on the open road.

There must have been something radically wrong with your system. I daily drive a 64 Dart with 9 inch Drums, in and out of the city, and it stops just fine.

-
Back