9" Rear Drums

-

zmarty27

Reaction score
Curious to know who your "guy" is. I'm not looking to spend an arm or a leg. I just want them operational. Looks like what I have on there now is pretty generic (I've never replaced them during my ownership.. But I've replaced the front). Went through Classic Industries last time, but their 9" selection is incomplete (or from what I can see). Thanks for the help in advance. Struggling to pull the trigger... I hate online orders.

What exactly are you looking for?

Post a photo of what you have.

If you have functioning brakes right now, you can simply disassemble, clean, turn drums or replace with new, new shoes, maybe new wheel cylinders if they are stuck or leaking.

Last edited:
I agree. I don't know why brake lathes are such a pariah nowadays. In a previous life I have LITERALLY turned thousands of drums and rotors. About 15 years in two different parts stores. Everything from the smallest drum you can imagine (what Fiat? Cushman?) to heavy truck / trailer brakes, and I've relined my share of shoes, too, on a "stomp" rivet machine.

I agree. I don't know why brake lathes are such a pariah nowadays. In a previous life I have LITERALLY turned thousands of drums and rotors. About 15 years in two different parts stores. Everything from the smallest drum you can imagine (what Fiat? Cushman?) to heavy truck / trailer brakes, and I've relined my share of shoes, too, on a "stomp" rivet machine.
We turned a ton of drums my first go around at the parts store. I was lucky to have a pair turned close to a decade ago before the last shop in the area with a lathe, closed.

I have often thought that buying a AMMCO brake lathe and advertising on Face Book and such locally could be a good retirement gig. Maybe also checking with local shops that didn't have a brake lathe and try to drum up work.

Just checked on Autozones website Duralast rear brake drums P/N 8191 $106.99 each Damn guys don't throw away your old 9-inch rear drums there worth a mint.

I have often thought that buying a AMMCO brake lathe and advertising on Face Book and such locally could be a good retirement gig. Maybe also checking with local shops that didn't have a brake lathe and try to drum up work.
My most recent need for brake renew was wifes 2011 RAV4. I found I could buy fancy new drilled and slotted rotors with new modern material pads included from Ebay with far less time and effort than having the OEM rotors turned and buying pads from a brick-and-mortar store. Last tire store I stopped at had a sign stating $165.00 per hour labor rate. It's no wonder there isn't a brake lathe there.
There are quite a few classics that show up at local cruise-ins , shows, etc.., but who knows how many are still running drum brakes at either end. I know they are driven so rarely that they may not need a rotor turned more than twice per decade. I just cannot smell a profit from a brake lathe.

Here is the reason you donot turn drums anylonger. Chinese drums do not turn and are loaded with hot spots due to poor quality metal used.

Auto part stores no longer invest in the machines to do this unless they already have them from 20 years ago.
Most just buy new drums and throw them away when done. I’ve turned my share of drums and rotors and the new stuff is complete junk. Even with multiple vibration bands they howl and vibrate when being cut. Same with new drums on big trucks. The days of Q to Q+ truck shoes and drums are coming to an end. (Q is a big truck shoe reference.) We need more American steel!
Agreed with keep original drums and rotors and then find a shop who can cut them - many parts stores by my location do not even know what that means let alone a person who can do it.

Here is the reason you donot turn drums anylonger. Chinese drums do not turn and are loaded with hot spots due to poor quality metal used.

Auto part stores no longer invest in the machines to do this unless they already have them from 20 years ago.
Most just buy new drums and throw them away when done. I’ve turned my share of drums and rotors and the new stuff is complete junk. Even with multiple vibration bands they howl and vibrate when being cut. Same with new drums on big trucks. The days of Q to Q+ truck shoes and drums are coming to an end. (Q is a big truck shoe reference.) We need more American steel!
Agreed with keep original drums and rotors and then find a shop who can cut them - many parts stores by my location do not even know what that means let alone a person who can do it.
A lot of big truck drums are worn out by the time you make it thru a set of brake shoes any way.

Curious to know who your "guy" is. I'm not looking to spend an arm or a leg. I just want them operational. Looks like what I have on there now is pretty generic (I've never replaced them during my ownership.. But I've replaced the front). Went through Classic Industries last time, but their 9" selection is incomplete (or from what I can see). Thanks for the help in advance. Struggling to pull the trigger... I hate online orders.
Rock Auto... honestly no other choice to make...

Not sure what car you are looking for.. but i guessed at 1973 duster...
Rock auto 9" drum ACDELCO $26 each..

A lot of big truck drums are worn out by the time you make it thru a set of brake shoes any way.
What I find with them is they are full of heat cracks. Especially when the hub is aluminum and the drum is steel. The corrosion between the two warps drums and the only way to get them off is hammer like a mother with a BFH.

Sorry for the delay, everybody. I finally got around to taking the tire off and snapping some pics with state of decay and measurements included. Opinions and recommendations? In the following thread, I have an image of the 10” drum behind the rim. My second question is this: why did they not put a matching set on the back along with the front? I can’t find the same style anywhere.

3658C20D-F67F-4180-8AD3-C33E6C661389.jpeg

485361A2-A097-46B0-AACF-C3E483403352.jpeg

FE92E4B1-ABE8-46DC-953D-6DD23A0A4953.jpeg

585223F8-EDB7-40D6-BA42-0D0CA247B82E.jpeg

AB551D95-5557-48B3-849E-44C4A3DDB12B.jpeg

-
Back