90 degree adapter leak

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
This is the second time I'll be re-seating it on the 340 - not sure what gives. right now it leaks right at startup (cold) then it'll back off when engines warmed up - not pretty on my ceramic headers. Any tips/tricks for this time around and/or is there a shorty style filter that'll get in there and clear with TTI's if I eliminate the adapter ?

I duno about the header part of your question. All I can say is find the info needed to get all the sealing pieces in all the right places and dont use a glob of silicone on them. The rubber o rings get motor oil to lubricate during assembly . The cork gasket gets nothing

Mine leaks as well. The problem I have is trying to hold it flush on the side of the motor with the headers in your way and starting the bolt at the same time. It's a big pain in the ***. I still don't know the size socket you need for that bolt.

I'm assuming it's leaking around the large gasket part, not the bolt......I had the same problem on a Dart before, and first I inspected closely both surfaces for any inperfections, then painted the big round gasket with Permatex. I let it dry for a day or two, then let 'er rip. No leaks. I'm not really wild about using Permatex, but hey.....sometimes.

I thought it was 1 1/8. I'll try the permatex this winter when I attempt it again.

I'm doing it now - may be 1 1/8 but I used 1 3/16 - torsion bar should come out to do this right, what a pain with it in cleaning the block surface. I got a dumb question - I didn't drain the oil because I figured the level was below adapter/filter. Why did I lose so much oil after filter then adapter were removed (half qt maybe) seems odd, and passenger side jacked up leaning portside - but obviously I've never pulled without draining oil first. Teach me somethin'

Is the car sitting on incline ? You are working at the shallow end of the pan.
If it were heading downhill you wouldn't have lost as much.

Isn't a ***** replacing that! Did a 1 3/16 work?

On my 1970 Duster 340 with tti headers had the same problem.The conclusion I came is metal expands when hot and contracts when cold.That would explain why it leaks when cold and not hot.After the second gasket set and retorquing of the adapter and still minor leak.I decided to remove 90 degree adapter.I replaced it with a Canton billet filter plate part num. 22-575.It uses O ring to seal against the block.I used Napa oil filter num. 1068.I didnot have to remove the torsion bar to do this.Now the oil filter is closer to header which may be a challenge at oil change time.But he main thing is no more leak.

Isn't a ***** replacing that! Did a 1 3/16 work?

I use a very long extension on mine and ratchet it almost from the ground near the rocker panel, instead of getting all tight in there with the other methods. Pretty easy this way. Mine for some reason has never leaked. You can get a real good bite on it with the long extension. Possibly you just dont get it tight enough?

Yes 1 3/16 works w/6" extension - scraping gasket material from the block was not easy as my hand would barely get in there - advice - single edged razor blades and oil (and blood) don't mix ! Sharpened putty knife much safer.

Yes 1 3/16 works w/6" extension - scraping gasket material from the block was not easy as my hand would barely get in there - advice - single edged razor blades and oil (and blood) don't mix ! Sharpened putty knife much safer.
If you want it to never leak again(or anything else you bolt together) then use Permatex High Tack on that oil adaptor when you re-install it. And make sure you have all the gaskets. Picture below. This stuff is nasty but you will never have to deal with it again. Don't get it on you, paint, girlfriend, dog. Nothing. But it will seal real well.

OilAdapterGaskets.jpg

SoulSurvivor, you are the man. Are all these available at Advanced/Napa, etc ? I noticed I am missing the one that goes under the bolt head (but leak was around base) Anyway - I'll give it a shot this week, thanks. May consider the Canton if any issues after this.

SoulSurvivor, you are the man. Are all these available at Advanced/Napa, etc ? I noticed I am missing the one that goes under the bolt head (but leak was around base) Anyway - I'll give it a shot this week, thanks. May consider the Canton if any issues after this.
No, you are the man. ebay, rehrenberg sells the gasket kit. Use lots of high tack on the rubber housing to block gasket.

I just picked up 2 from Mancini's. I think they are $7.95 each. They were out of stock for a long time. Buy a couple of them incase they run out of stock again. Cheap and good to have on your parts shelf. It took about 3 days for delivery.

If yours was missing the cork gasket underneath you could have warped it. You might want to check it good before you re-install it. Here's a pic to my solution for a leaking angle adapter. Makes for changing the filter nice and easy too.

I have TTIs and don't use the filter adapter. I use the short filter instead of the long filter.

rebeldart are you sure you even need the adapter?

I have TTIs and don't use the filter adapter. I use the short filter instead of the long filter.

rebeldart are you sure you even need the adapter?
What motor are you running? Did you buy an adapter of some sort to do away with the 90deg.?

What motor are you running? Did you buy an adapter of some sort to do away with the 90deg.?

No

I never had a 90 degree or bought anything else....just the flat stock type. I did go to the Mopar dealership and get all new filter plate, gasket, and the filter holder thing a ma jig.

The saga continues. I replaced all gaskets, used High Tack as recommended - tightened as tight as I could, all was well for about 50-60 miles of driving. On the way to a show yesterday a buddy behind me mention occasional puffs of white smoke from passenger side, couldn't quite pinpoint when I pulled off - on the way back from the show, you wouldn't want to have been behind me ! Lets just say my ceramic coated TTI's look like the inside of an oven that's never been cleaned or a caramel apple (oven cleaner may help ?) Unreal how far a steady dripping oil leak will spread at 60 mph for an hour! Anyway, I'm done - I'll be ordering the adapter from Canton - looks like the filter will be mighty close to the header ?. This is the third try with the 90 degree piece - has to be warpage - but I don't see it. Should have known when it leaked during break-in.

Saw your car at the show - looked awesome sitting still ! Honestly my favorite Dart at the show. Let us know how the adapter works as mine has been leaking slightly for a year and planned to address this winter. I think you scared buyers off with your asking price (too low in my opinion .. a steal).

-
Back