90 degree adapter leak

-
I have TTIs and don't use the filter adapter. I use the short filter instead of the long filter.

rebeldart are you sure you even need the adapter?

I have a 360 in my Dart, and I dont use the adapter either.. just the short filter... never had any problems.. My buddy has the adapter on his 68 Barracuda, and it leaks some..

According to TTI I have to use the adapter for clearance or go remote. Is there anyone here running TTI headers on a 340 that does NOT have the 90 and how's clearance ? What adapter/filter. I need this done this week and the 90 ain't getting it obviously (I've had them before without issue as well - this one has issues and I'm done.)

No responses yet ? I'd call TTI - I'm not running them so we'll see if someone has any addtl info. Remote's too spendy for me.

My 90 degree adapter leaked until I took it off and dragged it across sand paper on a flat surface to true up the surface. I replaced all three of the round gaskets and haven't had an issue since.

Just spoke with TTI - shorty filter will clear - calling Canton and wrapping this up. I swear I see no imperfections on the mating surfaces, but there's gotta be something going on. They also recommended orange citrus degreaser for the baked on oil, I'll give it a shot !

I have a SB 408 with TTI headers in my 69 Barracuda, I use the short filter with no issues. I had the 90 degree on for a while, but it started to leak, so I just used the stock plate and all is fine.

On my Ramchager with 360, I have a leak with the stock plate. I bought a new one but still need to install it to see if it corrects the leak. I also have headers on it and there are no fit issues with the short filter.

Let us know how the Canton adaptor works out, as far as clearance with the headers. I might be interested in one for the RC, if the new plate does not help.

Will do - Canton plate is 48.00 but found one in the "garage sale" section on the website for 25.00 ! Rep said possible scratches in the anodized finish (likeTHAT'S gonna show !). I could use a part number for the shorty filter if anyone's got it handy.

Use a Fram PH8 or PH16 (shorter) for cross reference, I use the Mobil 1 204 (shorter) or, Napa I don't have their number handy.

Will do - Canton plate is 48.00 but found one in the "garage sale" section on the website for 25.00 ! Rep said possible scratches in the anodized finish (likeTHAT'S gonna show !). I could use a part number for the shorty filter if anyone's got it handy.

What is this Canton plate? I've never heard of them.

I use KW Coppercoat on those gaskets with good luck. Better heat transfer than others I've used and cleanup is easier. I've had no problem getting the gaskets from the dealer. Make sure ALL of the old gasket is removed before intalling the new one. Don't get carried away tightening the bolt. They break easier than you would think! You can also warp the adapter. (especially if some knuckhead has installed two of the large gaskets sometime in the past)
Mark

I can't imagine how anyone could warp the 90 degree adapter - sure you're not thinking of the filter "plate". The 90 I have is heavy solid cast (as they all are with exception of aftermarket aluminums).

I can't imagine how anyone could warp the 90 degree adapter - sure you're not thinking of the filter "plate". The 90 I have is heavy solid cast (as they all are with exception of aftermarket aluminums).

The factory ones were cast but the aftermarket ones, which are probably 90% of the ones out there, are made of aluminum and they can be warped. I know cause I had one that was warped.

10-4. I still can't find the part number for the "stud" that the filter screws to. Mancini couldn't even help "may not be available". I need it by this weekend - may know someone with an old 360 I can steal off of if I have no luck.

I got my stud/plate from a junkyard and the gasket from the local parts store. Then just use a wix 51068 or 51085 filter. They are shorty versions of the 51515...

Are cast iron factory 90* adaptors also prone to leaks ? in case they are not ,then using a factory cast iron adaptor should take care of the leaks .

I am also using an aluminum adaptor which also leaks.

Got the "nipple" out of the 90* last night w/1" six-point and air ratchet - it's the same, and will use in the block with the Canton filter plate.

Let me know how that works. I've been fighting this leak for 12 years.

Mopar made both cast iron and aluminum adapters as I have both and yes, I've seen both types get warped. The aluminum one has a slightly different filter angle than the old cast iron type so sometimes they won't interchange without adjusting or modifying something.
Mark

Dose the Canton plate work WITH a 90 degree adapter to prevent leaking or is it a part that you use to go a different route? I am frustrated with my 340 duster! Thanks for any insight.

Dose the Canton plate work WITH a 90 degree adapter to prevent leaking or is it a part that you use to go a different route? I am frustrated with my 340 duster! Thanks for any insight.

The Canton plate is designed to replace the stock filter plate. It won't work with a 90 degree adapter.

-
Back