904-273 LA Bell housing/Torque conv/ Ring Gear questions

-

slant six

Do More With Less
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have acquired a (I believe a 1968) 273/ 904 combo.

A few questions... are the torque converters for the 273/904 the same externally as a 318/ 340?
It seemed to be the same size as a slant 6 torque converter that I compared it to.
I have some experience with the '68 273 but it was in a stick shift car.. it used a similar clutch/ pp/ flywheel as a slant 6 which is a bit odd when compared to the other LA combos.
I was wondering if the same was the same for the 904's

Thanks for your help!

They are internally balanced like the 318/340. The nose that goes into the back of the crank should be measured and compared to the crank being used.

Now I’m a bit fuzzy on when where and what changed but I can say, I was given these instructions as well on my wife’s ‘67 Cuda with her 904. It seems to have the newer front on the converter but the older odd spline count. This made getting a converter a royal PIA until I had ProTorque work on the OE unit and they did a great custom job on it.

Converter hub and splines changed in 1968. Slant six and small block. Need to make sure converter is neutral balanced. Don't know if all 340's are neutral.
Greg, if the engine/trans is 1968 or newer, just go ahead and use one of your race converters.

Last edited:
It seems to have the newer front on the converter but the older odd spline count. This made getting a converter a royal PIA until I had ProTorque work on the OE unit and they did a great custom job on it.
Late style front, and early splines is easy to get done. But it is not necessary to change converter. Just put an adapter bushing in the end of the crank. Going the other way (early front, late splines) is more difficult. Not many converter places will do that.

Converter hub and splines changed in 1968. Slant six and small block. Need to make sure converter is neutral balanced. Don't know if all 340's are neutral.
Greg, if the engine/trans is 1968 or newer, just go ahead and use one of your race converters.
Very late ‘72 & ‘73 - 340’s are externally balanced. There actually listed as one year only.
Late style front, and early splines is easy to get done. But it is not necessary to change converter. Just put an adapter bushing in the end of the crank. Going the other way (early front, late splines) is more difficult. Not many converter places will do that.
Good for those who need this information. ProTorque did the stock ‘67 converter custom to suite. I’m set.

-
Back