904 behind 360

-

Hersbird

Reaction score
Ok, so I changed my mind about using a 727 and am going to rebuild and keep my 904. This sucks because I already spent hours cleaning the 727 and bought a rebuild kit for it from Cope racing but oh well. The questions I have are what is the best way to deal with the torque converter. If I use the old converter I will buy the B&M flexplate and be done. But what if I want a better converter,

1) can I just get it externally balanced and save the flexplate money?
2) If so will the stock 72 360 flexplate work with the 904 or do I have to swap the flexplate over from the 318?
3) any recommendations for an economy converter for this setup. Mild 360, stock 340 cam, highway gears.

I'm leaning toward the stock converter and the B&M flexplate.

wait I just found one how about this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-Torqueflite-904-1968-77-H-S-Converter-360-Engine-/220813085010

Ok, so I changed my mind about using a 727 and am going to rebuild and keep my 904. This sucks because I already spent hours cleaning the 727 and bought a rebuild kit for it from Cope racing but oh well. The questions I have are what is the best way to deal with the torque converter. If I use the old converter I will buy the B&M flexplate and be done. But what if I want a better converter,

1) can I just get it externally balanced and save the flexplate money?
2) If so will the stock 72 360 flexplate work with the 904 or do I have to swap the flexplate over from the 318?
3) any recommendations for an economy converter for this setup. Mild 360, stock 340 cam, highway gears.

I'm leaning toward the stock converter and the B&M flexplate.

I'm going with a stock converter and a B&M flex plate.

Its a stock LA 360 with magnum heads for a bit more compression and a stock grind 340 cam, 650 performer carb and headers. 300-350 hp hopefully. It's just a street car.

Your making this way harder than it needs to be. If you buy the B&M flexplate and use it you can swap in any neutral balanced converter the same diameter as the original you want at any time. It'll bolt right up and be balanced because balancing is the job of the B&M flexplate. That's why you put the B&M flex plate on, to get rid of the need for a specially balanced torque converter.

If you go with that E-bay torque converter it will work but if later on you want to upgrade to a higher stall you will have to again buy a specially balanced converter.

I'm not woried about making it harder, I want to make it cheaper. The b&m costs $85 but these speciality balanced converters don't seem to cost anything extra. So if I keep the stock converter the b&m is less but if I want more stall seems like just buy something with the weights added rather then buying both. Once this is together there is no going back and changing things. I'm just a poor boy with a family to raise still!

I ordered the b&m. The ebay one I linked to is the same converter I already have just with the weights added. I was wrongly under the impression there were different stall converters from the factory but the small 904 converter is as good as it gets from the factory. Good enough for me, it should stall higher then a factory 340/727 combo.

-
Back