904 brakes torgue converters

-

Dusterguy

Reaction score
Hello. I have Mopar 360+904(lock-up)+8 3/4

Problem is my trans brakes my torgue convertors. This is my second that went crap. Snout in the TC that drivers oil pump cracks. 1 half of it cracks. It only last about 400 miles, then fails. I have rebuildet trans by expert and it has new oilpump etc. I also hac TCI (SFI sertifikated) flexplate, its thik metal and stroger than stock flexplate, i think, it is balaced to 360 engine and i use zero balanced TC. "snouts" that what is between engine and trans for agliment, they are there.

I have no idea what cause this problem, one thin what comes to my mind is that the flexplate is bent and brakes TC? I need help and aim very pissed off by this situation. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thanks! ps. sorry bad english.

Welcome to FABO! Other things to look for.....engine idle too high.....bad oil pump in trans(even if it is "new").... poor quality metal in torque converter hub....mismatch of pump and converter hub (there are different size converter slots and pump lugs through the years)....and possible alignment problems that require a dial indicator to check if the bellhousing is centered to the crank. Good Luck!

make sure they are putting a chromemoly hub on your 904 converter...had one crack many...many years ago......since chromemoly hub...no crackie...

Don't worry about your English language skills. Here in the USA the laguage has been continually changing for a number of reasons. Heres an example; It used to be that if one was stating that they had been thinking about something earlyer, the word was thought. I.E. "I thought about it before". Well the word now becoming thunk. I.E. " I thunk about it before" It drives some of us nuts but thats the way our language works. As far as your T.C. problem, it sounds like an alignment problem to me, but that is just my best guess.

Idle is 900rpm. Yes i have installed TC properly and its go to trans easy, it aint stuck or nothing when i push it in to oilpump. I also have opened the oilpump and there seems everything OK.

Maybe i should use normal flexplate (that flex better that thiker metal tci plate) and use 360 turbine whit balanced to 360 engine and order it whit cromemoly snout. Then chek aglinment whit dial bore thing. That also mean i have to open up my trans, sounds terrible. expert guys are so expensive that i dont want to do the job whit them.
icon9.gif

enything else i should do?

welcome to the board. is the motor balanced internally or externally? the flexplate has to match the balance of the motor and so does the torque convertor.

I know, flexplate have the balace that 360 needs, it is normal 360 external balance. i have to use zero balance TC and thats what i have used.

It is local tc builder in Finland and it is good reputation. They are very good guality tc.

Well, they are gonna figure it out. When i take my trans out, i send tc and flexplate to them and they take a look.

Flexplate was bent 0.043 inch, i trow it to near pond. Should i still chek aglimnet fetween engine and trans, or will it be okay with new flexplate?

Maybe i take risk and go on with new flexplate.. i let you know what happen then.

I had a 79 5th Ave with a 360 and 904 lock up than ran very well. One day it started making a ticking sound at the back of the engine almost like a lifter noise. When I finally figured it was from the transmission I found like you did, half of the converter snout had cracked and broken off. I replaced the converter and pump bushing and drove the car quite a while before I sold it. I have no idea if it failed again later but I thought it odd also. The shop that supplied the converter said it was not that uncommon though.

yes on 904 always chromemoly hubs and watch the drive lugs. Also i have worked with paul fortae at T/A and we got the late model D drive hub and pump gears to work takes a little machine work to get right but works great have over 500 runs on one looks good also hear some guys put GM hub and gears in them.

Could the fact that this is a 904 "Lock-up" transmission have anything to do with the breakage? Lock-up and regular converters and transmissions are not suppose to be interchangable.

-
Back