904 early shifts

-

63dartman

Reaction score
Just recently it seems my 904 tranny has started shifting from 1st to 2nd and also from 2nd to 3rd at very short intervals and really low rpm's. If I nail the gas it holds to the higher rpm's as expected with no slipping that I can feel. It's always when I'm putting around. If I am making a left or right hand turn sitting at a red light, It will be in third before I even get the wheels straightened out from the turn and maybe 15mph tops. Any ideas on what to look at and check? This tranny is unknown on mileage and use. I got it with a 318 two years ago and just changed the filter, added a deep pan, and a shift kit. My kickdown is adjusted properly and working.

Nobody has an idea? I guess I am going to yank it out soon....Haven't decided what to do though, either the a500 swap or a 4-speed swap. This used to be a 3-speed column shift. I left the clutch pedal assembly in just in case. Is the 4-speed swap hard to do on early a's with v-8's?

I would say it is a valve body/governor issue. My friend's challenger 440/727 shifts the same way with light throttle. A service manual should have a diagnostic that will point you in the right direction; it is probobly an adjustment. As far as 4 speed go in an early a, I don't think the tunnel will accept a large bellhousing so you may be limited to a 10" clutch.

You said you just added a shift kit. Did you have a problem before adding the kit? Actually sounds like a kickdown linkage problem. Try adjusting the rod longer, and see if it helps.

Charrlie_S, I don't have a kickdown rod. I am using a lokar or bouchilon cable system. I haven't had any trouble out of the cable since install, I went and double checked the adjustment on it and it is fully engaged at wot, I just think it's tired and going from a 318 to a 360 probably is putting a little to much stress on those 30 year old parts. I should really look into a rebuild or replacement options. At least then I would know the history on the tranny. Thanks for the help too! You and 66dart. I am also going to find a diagnostic check as 66dartman suggested, I believe I have one in my chilton's.

I must bow to the mopar tech's again! I took a 3rd look at my linkage and noticed that the throttle/kickdown bracket was angled slightly and repositioned it maybe an 1/4 inch. Damn those things are touchy, After adjusting it My tranny is shifting pretty damn good again. I really need to get a better bracket. The one I have on there slips a little over time. Another project for winter, But that beats replacing my tranny. Thanks again for getting me headed in the right direction!

Blue loctite.
On the screws attaching the bracket. ;)

63dartman said:
I must bow to the mopar tech's again! I took a 3rd look at my linkage and noticed that the throttle/kickdown bracket was angled slightly and repositioned it maybe an 1/4 inch. Damn those things are touchy, After adjusting it My tranny is shifting pretty damn good again. I really need to get a better bracket. The one I have on there slips a little over time. Another project for winter, But that beats replacing my tranny. Thanks again for getting me headed in the right direction!

-
Back