904 Factory Internal Combinations??

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
Hi everyone!! Been a while since I've been on...school and work:banghead:
Well, I just bought a 904 for my Valiant yesterday...it's out of a 1970 Duster supposedly a 318 car. Only paid $30 for it, so it was definitely a deal. I'm wondering what kind of internals 904's came with as fas as front rear friction numbers (3,4 or 5), planetary pinions (3,4, or 5), kickdown lever ratios (3.8, 4.2, 5.0)?? And were they ever put behind a 340 from the factory? Motor/ performance applications??
I pulled it apart today and found that both front and rear drums had 4 frictions each. Front and rear planetaries are both 4 pinion and it has a 4.2 kickdown lever in it. As far as I can tell this transmission has never been rebuilt or into, other than filter and fluid changes. The guy I bought it from had the 70 Duster sitting in his next garage bay over and had just pulled it out. I'm sure it's original to the car according to the date code. Told me it was slipping from 1st to 2nd. Discovered when I pulled it apart as well why it was slipping...the lining was completely gone on the front band and was just metal to metal and it wore a groove in the front/high clutch drum the width of the band...no biggie I'll just replace the drum.
The combination within this trans seems like it was somewhat built for performance from the factory. Anyone got any info??
Thanks!!

a 904 behind a 318 should have 4 disc in the front and rear clutch pac...

904 in dusters only came behind 318...no 340 dusters got 904s....so there is really no performance options for it...the 318s in dusters were all 2 barrels...

-
Back