904 Floor shifter conversion questions/help

-

sheppard10

Reaction score
Has anyone out there used an aftermarket floor shift conversion? Such as Mr.Gasket 3-4 Speed Automatic Floor Shifters part number 7668. I have the 904 Transmission in a 74 Duster with bucket seats. I would love to have the shifter mounted to the floor, but don’t have the budget for the console conversion. I think this would be a sweet set up if it worked! Anyone use this or anything like it? Any tricks or ideas? Anything else I should have to buy for this? Thanks again.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-7668/media/instructions

I used something similar back in the 70's in a 65 Impala SS I had. I swapped out the slush box (2 speed) auto to a 3 speed auto and installed a floor shifter like that. It worked very well once adjusted.

I don't remember too much more than that about it.

Thanks for the information. I am trying to keep the whole conversion under $150-200 if I can. I am wonder if there are any serious modification that needs done? Or is this something a guy can do in his garage with simple tools.

If you want to keep it in that range I would seriously consider the shifter bighammer recommended or something similar. The reason I say that is the shifter you have selected, I don't "think" has any reverse lockout provision, meaning you could accidentally shift into reverse when moving forward.

And yes, you can do this yourself with ease if you are mechanically inclined and can follow the directions. The one thing you will need is a hole saw mounted on a bit so you can put the hole in the hump to run the cable through, other than that a few simple hand tools. A little time and patience to get the cable adjusted perfectly and you're good to go.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. To be honest I was hoping to make it look like a manual shifter without it being a manual. But at any rate I really want the shifter on the floor so I will keep all of these in mind. Gotta get the wife to buy off on it first.

Look this up on ebay- [ame="http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Hurst-3838500-Auto-Trans-Shift-Lever-Kit-/153973393?_tab=1&_trksid=p2047675.l2644"]Hurst 3838500 Auto Trans Shift Lever Kit[/ame]
$99.00 plus shipping for a Hurst Promatic 2 ratchet shifter. Can't go wrong.

Best thing I found about my shifter is that no one can figure out how to get it out of park. Took it in to get the tires rotated and they called me up to help them move it into the bay:) I guess it's kind of a theft deterrent system:}

-
Back