904 gaskets

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
I have a cable operated 904 in my 65 barracuda and it is leaking from the parking lock cable mount. Where can I get a new gasket for this? Also, the speedometer cable is leaking. Is there some sort of inner seal that can be replaced?

I don't think that cover gasket is available individually. You'll probably have to RTV the thing. The shift/park/speedo cables usually leak through a crack in the cable housing if the "O" ring seal looks good. I've had decent luck using a plastic dip for the housings. It's the stuff you buy to put a plastic handle on a tool. You heat it up until it melts and you dip whatever you want a plastic coating on and then let it cool and solidify. You have to really get the item clean before you dip or it won't stick very good. Some things that are too big to dip can be coated using a throw-away paint brush.

I second the park box gasket un-obtainable alone (or even finding a full kit for 65). It might be better to cut a new one out of gasket material. If you have a set of hole punches, that isn't hard. Be careful re-installing the box. I cracked one box when tightening it and the parking lever was in the wrong position. My 65 box looked slightly different and didn't seem to bind the same, so maybe an improved design. That tranny was probably 64 or earlier.

While you are in there, I seem to recall an O-ring in an inside groove that seals the metal cable end.

If anyone still has that gasket available or knows of a source it would be Torqueflite Patty. Give him a call at Pat Blais Transmissions (206) 365-1966
I usually go down to NAPA and get some gasket material and cut my own. There is an o-ring on the cable housing that you can replace too.

You are correct on the inner seal....your leak is probaly form the speedometer gear seal on the end of the cable. They often get damaged or left out of the gear if someone works on, or pulls the gear off the cable. Yours might even have gotten hard and brittle enought that it won't seal in 46 years! I think they were originally a tiny square o-ring but I've found regular o-rings that fit in and seal OK. If that's bad it lets tranny fluid into the cable housing and the housing wont seal tranny fluid in. You could probably check with Pat on this seal too. The regular speedometer housing to transmission seal is just a regular o-ring, as you probably already know.

I actually looked at one of my speedometer cables last night and the seal for the gear to the cable is not a square o-ring but a tiny cup shaped affair. I think I got mine from T/F patty......

-
Back