904 help

-
67 I believe. You need to see if the 273 has the smaller converter bore in the crank. Bear in mind that as old as these girls are getting, you MIGHT have a 273 with a later crank, as a 318/ 273 crank will fit.

67 I believe. You need to see if the 273 has the smaller converter bore in the crank. Bear in mind that as old as these girls are getting, you MIGHT have a 273 with a later crank, as a 318/ 273 crank will fit.

Is there any way to use a 904 and torque converter out of a mid 80's dodge truck?

Is there any way to use a 904 and torque converter out of a mid 80's dodge truck?

simplest is to have the snout of the 80s 904 converter changed out to fit the 273 crank ...otherwise you gotten change the crank..to fit the converter.

simplest is to have the snout of the 80s 904 converter changed out to fit the 273 crank ...otherwise you gotten change the crank..to fit the converter.

Ok, thank you. Would any decent machine shop be able to do that?

You'll probably have to talk to a convertor shop. At that point you'd probably be better off have one custom built, pick your stall speed, etc.

Don't forget that transmissions were starting to use lock-up converters in the '80's. Not necessarily a bad thing, but those aren't performance oriented and many parts don't interchange between lock-up and "regular" versions, mainly the converters if you decide to change anything.

too bad your not closer, I got 67 904 and torque converter off my 273 just sitting under my deck I'd let you have cheap - shipping would probably be more than I want for it. Worked fine when I took it out. Still have the 273 also - pulled it out, was a HiPo but whoever rebuilt it 30 over put stock pistons in it. I pulled it all out and went with a 360, and 904 with 2500 stall torque convertor with the weights on it for the 360. You can tell the 273 904 because it has the smaller input snout and the torque convertor has a bolt you can pull out to drain the torque convertor.

Hi,

I'm bringing this back from the dead because I'd like to make sure I'm getting accurate information and the sources on this and the slant six board have some disagreement.

My brother has a '70 Valiant that we're putting a '64 \6 into with the existing A904 auto. This means interfacing the smaller '67 & earlier crank register with the larger '68 to '77 input shaft (27 spline/0.875 dia') , requiring a custom converter. My issue is that the crank register inside diameters are reported with 4 different values:

One source:
'67-Down: 1.530 id
'68-up: 1.850 id

and another:
'67-Down: 1.565 id
'68-up: 1.815 id

So which is correct?

Also what are the correct outside diameters for the two converter snouts?

Thanks! Dave

I would but I'm doing this without access to any of the parts involved (i.e., long distance).

These should be standard spec's that are easy to look up, but I guess my Google Fu is weak on this subject.

If you want to be certain measure the one you have

Hi,

I'm bringing this back from the dead because I'd like to make sure I'm getting accurate information and the sources on this and the slant six board have some disagreement.

My brother has a '70 Valiant that we're putting a '64 \6 into with the existing A904 auto. This means interfacing the smaller '67 & earlier crank register with the larger '68 to '77 input shaft (27 spline/0.875 dia') , requiring a custom converter. My issue is that the crank register inside diameters are reported with 4 different values:

One source:
'67-Down: 1.530 id
'68-up: 1.850 id

and another:
'67-Down: 1.565 id
'68-up: 1.815 id

So which is correct?

Also what are the correct outside diameters for the two converter snouts?

Thanks! Dave

Neither of those are correct. Up to 67 the snout size was 1.53"... 68 and newer uses a snout size of 1.810"

Thanks for that I was indeed looking for the snout size too, but I also wanted a definitive answer on the correct ID on the crank. Based upon the options I've found and the below snout diminutions provided by Fishy68, those values are probably:

1.850" for 68 & later

1.565" for 67 & earlier

I suggest this because it yields a more consistent clearance figure of 0.040" & 0.035"

Any more info?

Neither of those are correct. Up to 67 the snout size was 1.53"... 68 and newer uses a snout size of 1.810"

I haven't done much when it comes to manual trans stuff so I don't know those figures. If no one answers you here try posting that question in the 4spd section and you may get an answer.

-
Back