904 kickdown lever spring tension?

-

TX64DartGT

Reaction score
I still have the factory linkage, however there is no spring tension pushing the factory rod that bolts to the carb forward. Shouldn’t the lever on the trans have some spring tension in it to push the lever forward? Right now there is nothing.

I still have the factory linkage, however there is no spring tension pushing the factory rod that bolts to the carb forward. Shouldn’t the lever on the trans have some spring tension in it to push the lever forward? Right now there is nothing.

It is supposed to be held forward by a spring on the rod up at the carb on some, or a spring from the pivot at the firewall end to a loop on the TP rod.
The rod should be held all the way forward by the spring.
I'll locate a couple of pics for ya and post em.

Ok, well hopefully you have this style of linkage because I don't see the older style where the rod actually hass the tab on the side of it for the spring.

90.jpg

Last edited:
This is currently what I’ve got. It’s a Lokar rod I believe, was on the car when I got it and was not hooked up. Currently not running as I’ve got the top need apart chasing an oil leak problem. I believe I have the springs, I was just curious if there was some kind of spring internally in the trans or on the lever where it comes out the top of the trans.

3CBB3436-1786-43F8-96ED-342540F7BFF2.jpeg

D0BF2311-484E-490B-BFFD-A1A32216B6D1.jpeg

Bad for your trans without a throttle hook up unless modded to not use it. The factory linkage is best IMO.

It is supposed to be held forward by a spring on the rod up at the carb on some, or a spring from the pivot at the firewall end to a loop on the TP rod.
The rod should be held all the way forward by the spring.
I'll locate a couple of pics for ya and post em.
Yep, you do need one, if yours is one like mine on my 72 dart, I had to put a rod & spring on mine when I got it wear someone added the Edelbrock, flipped the rod & I got a spring from auto parts that worked & been holding in place for a long time!...Hear is a pic of how I got mine set up!

DSCN1495.JPG

This is currently what I’ve got. It’s a Lokar rod I believe, was on the car when I got it and was not hooked up. Currently not running as I’ve got the top need apart chasing an oil leak problem. I believe I have the springs, I was just curious if there was some kind of spring internally in the trans or on the lever where it comes out the top of the trans.

It's sprung the other way against the TP valve inside the trans and people that use a cable like I do have a spring on the lever of the trans pulling it forward.
The OE rod is slotted at the carb end and in my opinion you would be doing yourself and your trans a favor by tossing that rod in a box and getting the right rod.

It could be rigged, but not being a transmission oriented person might put your trans at risk.

Yep, you do need one, if yours is one like mine on my 72 dart, I had to put a rod & spring on mine when I got it wear someone added the Edelbrock, flipped the rod & I got a spring from auto parts that worked & been holding in place for a long time!...Hear is a pic of how I got mine set up!

View attachment 1715140366

Total adjument is preffered and reference to the FSM is important.

Dish that air cleaner before you have a fire. We have seen that before.

Do you know why the rod is slotted on the end?
Most people don't.

What do you mean, mine douse have total adjustment, the front part of the rod & wear the rod go's on at are adjustable!

Yes it does, but if your TP linkage hangs up anywhere for any reason it'll hold your throttle open.

Hyup, once the two are synchronized, where the rod parks is no longer an issue. Let the slot do what it was designed to do.
In the absence of the mechanism,wire the lever on the trans in the full rearward position, until you get it sorted. It will remind you to get it sorted, on every 1-2 shift,lol.And every 2-1.

-
Back