904 La kickdown linkage adjustment

-

Tad

Reaction score
Have a question about how my 904 is shifting. I’m running a 340 in front of my 904 with an eight and three-quarter rear end. When I takeoff it shifts fine from first to second. It revs pretty high and will only shift into third if I let off the gas a little bit. Shifting back down Is no problem. Any input as far as how to correct this?

You can screw the linkage at Carb in a turn or two clockwise as to shorten the rod then test . Repeat until you've found it to your liking. That's the kick down linkage. There is an adjustment at the lever at the tranny that I think controls shift pressure but not sure. Someone might chip in on that but try the kickdown adjustment 1st it only takes a few minutes.

I can never remember the direction but I was once told if it is a late shift one way, hard shift the other way.

Typically the starting point is, move the throttle to wide open and move the rod all the way back (minimal pressure) and adjust so the back of the slot just barely slips on.

Alan

Wide open throttle should get the transmission also wide open. Sounds like yours is set too tight. I usually start at idle with the back of the slot just touching the carb pin and then fine tune from there.

transmission linkage..jpg

I can never remember the direction but I was once told if it is a late shift one way, hard shift the other way.

Typically the starting point is, move the throttle to wide open and move the rod all the way back (minimal pressure) and adjust so the back of the slot just barely slips on.

Alan
Thank you Alan. That’s one thing I wondered as well. When I push the kick down rod back by hand it feels like it takes quite a bit of pressure to do so. Sometimes I wonder if that limits my carburetor fully opening. Makes sense to open the carburetor up full throttle then set the backside of the slot so it’s just hitting the carburetor pin. That would ensure full throttle and that the kick down is pushed all the way back as well.

This is the linkage I was told would fit my 904 and 340 combination however it’s way too short even with the slotted part turned all the way out. I was going to add a section into it to linked in it. Is this the correct one for a 65 dart?
image.jpg

I don't have a clue :eek: . Measure the length so maybe someone can check theirs for you.
I'm confused , how was it working or hooked up if too short ?

I don't have a clue :eek: . Measure the length so maybe someone can check theirs for you.
I'm confused , how was it working or hooked up if too short ?
I made my own rod initially but no slot at the carb. It was hard mounted which I know can be dangerous if the trans sticks with the carb wide open.

This is the linkage I was told would fit my 904 and 340 combination however it’s way too short even with the slotted part turned all the way out. I was going to add a section into it to linked in it. Is this the correct one for a 65 dart?View attachment 1715469528

Want to make sure you use the return spring on the kickdown linkage rod.

Edelbrock Mopar.jpg

This is the linkage I was told would fit my 904 and 340 combination however it’s way too short even with the slotted part turned all the way out. I was going to add a section into it to linked in it. Is this the correct one for a 65 dart?

View attachment 1715469528
Converted to 4 barrel? You need one of these. I think Summit sells them.

kickdown adapter.jpg

It's a Edelbrock #8004.

Last edited:
Is there a specific part number for that green return spring? How tight is the recoil

Should be able to find a match to it at your local hardware store. Like 1/2" diameter, 3" long, 1/16" wire.

Want to be able to push it back with your thumb, then release and have it snap back to the end of the slot at the carb linkage pin.

Resurrecting this thread in hopes someone has the answer. I've got a 66 Dart 270 that I've added a Edelbrock D4B intake and an Edelbrock

AVS2 Carburetor #19044 500 CFM​

I'm having trouble finding the right parts for the kickdown linkage. Anyone have a link to what I need?

Resurrecting this thread in hopes someone has the answer. I've got a 66 Dart 270 that I've added a Edelbrock D4B intake and an Edelbrock

AVS2 Carburetor #19044 500 CFM​

I'm having trouble finding the right parts for the kickdown linkage. Anyone have a link to what I need?

Thanks,
I found some needed items. I may have missed it but does anyone have a link to a supplier and the part number for the slotted end for the kick down rod?

-
Back