904 low gear set

-

72scampguy

Reaction score
Will be buying a 904 for track car soon. 29x10.5 tire in a 3200# car. Full calvert steup in the rear. 700 hp small block. I think they offer a 1.54 and 1.74. Any advice would help.

In my opinion, the low set it for a eng that don't have enough torque to get the best 60 foot out of the hole.
I think the lower set gears will only cause you traction problem.
700 hp you start to shy away from them low gears sets in the rear as well.
I would stick with the standard set.

In my opinion, the low set it for a eng that don't have enough torque to get the best 60 foot out of the hole.
I think the lower set gears will only cause you traction problem.
700 hp you start to shy away from them low gears sets in the rear as well.
I would stick with the standard set.
Thanks.

ProTrans has multiple gears sets for the 904, give them a call & tell them what your plans are. They will be able to tell you what ratios you should run.

Stock low gears are 2.74/1.51

and 2.45/1.45

went you call ProTrans...now located in Texas no longer in Kalifornia.....have your visa card ready....LOL

I think I would rather use the std set, and run a deeper rear gear depending on the power peaks of the engine.

If you want to run a standard type low gear, find a 4 pinion planetary set from a /6 904 complete with the sun gear & swap the sun gear into your front bell. Most of the /6's had lower first gears than the V8's. Torqueflite Patty on Ebay has them, but you can probably find someone with a /6 transmission for cheap.

700hp you’ll have plenty of power to not need the low gear.... that’s about where I’m at. 1.22 60ft when the front end stays down. I do run a 4.56 gear with 29.5 10.5 slick

Agree with what others have said. The low gear set is more for your mid 11 sec or slower cars running low torque high RPM engines, and usually cause tire spin with higher power engines.
The other piece of advise I'd give is to get a set of Viking Crusader shocks for the rear. With that kind of power on a Cal Trac car you'll want good shocks.

-
Back