904 no 3rd gear?Why?

-
Here,s a little history on the 904 I bought.I purchased a 360 rebuilt from a guy and he through the tranny in with the deal,so I took the tranny to a respectible tranny shop( I,ve known the owner and his co0worker for 30 years)asked them to check out the 904,they went over it and said it was o.k so I asked them to install a Trans-go 2 kit and get me a 2500 stall.I got the tranny back from them and installed it.During my test runs to set the lokar kickdown is when I noticed no 3rd?Other than that it worked great.I,m hoping this is just a small mistake and easy fix.When I talked to him this morn. he was measuring the ball,it was .343 thou.Which is the right size?Correct?I,ll know more in the morning when I go over there!Later.

.343=11/32" so that should be right. Tell him to check the 2-3 shift valve. May just have a piece of crud in it keeping it from working.

I went by this morn, and the tranny,s out,I,ll know more later before I go to work!I can guarranty this is going to cost me$$??

Do you or they just have a spare Valve body laying around to test with? Also you can pressure test it as well, for some reason your high direct clutch is not working, but the direct and band are holding to get reverse, sounds like a shuttle valve is stuck from a rags lint, or a wrong size check bale or hole covered etc in the plate on the valve body. Only other thing is the kick down linkage is jambed.

A band would have to be SUPER tight to cause no 3rd, but then you would have issues in other gears too..

You can stuff any 727 or 906 valve body in to test from same year or years case, depends on the year of your trans. But it is a pretty wide selection of fit.

Good luck, sounds like they are not to with it, sorry my 2 cents...

I'm with Kim, I don't think it's the governor. If it was the governor why does it shift to second?? Kim's also right that you don't have to disassemble the whole trans to get to the governor since it's in the tailshaft area. I wonder if they goofed up something in the 2-3 shift valve? Worse comes to worse you can send me the valve body and I'll fix it for free. You just pay the shipping. Only drawback to that is I'm in the states and things seem to be slow crossing the border unless you pay exorbitant rates.

When I said very late second gear I did not mention at what speed:) I probably could have found third but ran out of pavement.

I just came back from the tranny shop.I guess it has something to do with the govenors?I asked why not just take the tailstock off?He laughed and said because of the exhaust hangers being welded to the crossmember and the way that my..custom.. exhaust is and it being such a tight fit.No room.Yeah,whatever.Anyway,I,m hoping to get er back tomorrow?If they,re not to busy.This will be the last time he gets any of my bussiness.:thebirdm:

If you have a stuck governor, my tranny guy says you can throw the vehicle into park at about 20mph and the ratcheting action of the parking pawl skipping over the detents will jar the governor hard enough to sometimes free it up. I never had the balls to do this but his assistant said he did it to mine before deciding to disassemble it again(it didn't work that time).

I looked at all the pieces lying on the bench when it was apart and nothing looked damaged from doing that. IDK.

I had the same problem with my 904.went with a foward pattern manual valve body.real nice shifts hard.

If you have a stuck governor, my tranny guy says you can throw the vehicle into park at about 20mph and the ratcheting action of the parking pawl skipping over the detents will jar the governor hard enough to sometimes free it up. I never had the balls to do this but his assistant said he did it to mine before deciding to disassemble it again(it didn't work that time).

I looked at all the pieces lying on the bench when it was apart and nothing looked damaged from doing that. IDK.

Wow!! I guess it's possible to jar something loose that way if something's stuck. I do know that the detent is designed so that if you do throw it in park at speed it shouldn't lock up but I don't think I could muster the guts to do that. Especially to somebody else's ride. Now if were and old clunker it might be fun.=P~

The tranny is out?So throughing into park?Hmmm?It,ll be getting fixed while out of the car,but thanks for your suggestions!Til it,s fixed and out of the shop,I,m going to the track in my 73 Dart Sport to make some test&tune passes!I need to get this out of my head!!

Wow!! I guess it's possible to jar something loose that way if something's stuck. I do know that the detent is designed so that if you do throw it in park at speed it shouldn't lock up but I don't think I could muster the guts to do that. Especially to somebody else's ride. Now if were and old clunker it might be fun.=P~

It definitely won't lock up, makes an awful grinding noise, you cannot put enough force on the shifter to make it grab. That's why you have to be rolling around 20mph. If you were going maybe 5mph it would ratchet and then grab, yikes!!!

Well apparently the govenor was sticking?We hope,and the tranny,s going back in as we speak.I told them I,d pick it up Mon. afternoon.OSCA starts tomorrow,trials Sat. and racing Sunday!OSCA=Ontario Street Car Association.

Glad to hear you might have this licked. I know the anxiety this s#$t causes. I will be in Waterdown tommorrow......EARLY. Good luck at the track.

I can't take the suspense, did they get it fixed and what was wrong with it?

Well I got the 66 back today.Apparently it was the govener sticking,maybe when I swapped tranny,s or when I had the rad re-cored,there must have been some dirt or paint?Whatever,it,s fixed and is shifting correct 1-2-3 also the kickdown,s working great.Tomorrow I,m putting my new center section (new Auburn s.g 3.91,s)back in.Right now I have 2.76 one legger,I had taken out the new one to change gears from 4.57 to 3.91,s then it,s off to the track to see what she,ll run?:cheers:Oh yeah,Thanks everyone for suggestions and help!Also an extra thanks to Fishy68 for being there with help!

Glad to hear you got her on the road Petty:cheers::cheers::cheers:
Hey Fishy68,hopefully by this weekend I can take her to the track for some test and tune.ArmdropLive with Rich Christianson (Pinks Allout)is coming to my local track on June 5-6.I just don,t know which car to take?The 73 Dart Sport 340 or the 66 Dart 360/904?

Cayuga.jpg

-
Back