904 question

-

scottyv

Reaction score
i have a 73 dart sport, it was running and driving just fine, a nut came off a rod cap causing the rod to come loose, i pulled the motor, fixed the problem, put the motor back in, now i have no trans, i pulled the lines, and its not pumping, when i took out the motor i pulled the torque converter with it, and left the trans in, i only lost i tiny bit of fluid, and i replaced that, all linkage is hooked and working properly, when i bolted it back together it went smooth as pie, and i spun the torque converter several times to make sure it was seated before i bolted it home, and put the starter in, i've been a mopar guy for almost 50 years now, but i've never been very good with trans work, any idea's ?

are you sure the converter was seated?

cause if it is not all the way in...the converter drives the pump...

cause if you did nothing to the trans but remove the converter....then i would say it is not seated....

That's all I can figure too. The converter wasn't seated all the way. I always check by stickin my hand behind it. When you CANNOT get your hand back there, it's seated.

thats what i figured too, but i was sure i seated it all the way, i'm going to pull it loose sunday and check it again, thanks, for the input

Is it even possible to get the TF on the engine without the coverter being seated?

i'm not realy sure, its never happened to me before, but the car was running great, and driven daily, before i dropped a rod cap, so i can't see the trans being bad, it only sat for 3 weeks, before i fixed the motor and dropped it back in, i lost less than a pint of tranny fluid when i took out the radiator, and i replaced that, now all gears are neutral, and when i pulled the trans lines at the radiator its not pumping any fluid in any gear, just a tiny drip

When you installed the engine, if the converter was still on the engine, it is probably not seated in the trans. If it was not seated and you ran the engine (which it sounds like you did) there is a good chance you damaged the front pump on the trans. When you pull it back apart, take a good look at the drive lugs on the pump. They may be sheared off. Also check the pump drive on the converter.

-
Back