904 question.

-

hemitheus

19? Plymouth Scampenstein
Reaction score
Have a pushbutton 904 on a slant in my 64 val. Should I have it rebuilt or do it myself? Let me preface this by saying i know jack diddly squat about auto trannies.

is there an idiot proof how to for thise like me?

if I do it are there any mods that I should consider?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

You need to pull it out and find some old timer who hasn't retired yet rebuild it. you likely need special tools, ever rebuild any trans, if not no way i would try it.

I think you should try it. there is not many special tools needed for a 904 and it is one of the most simple transmissions to rebuild. Its the first one that I had to rebuild. (for a roomate of mine. I knew if I didnt fix it, there would be endless bumming of rides, so I rebuilt it in the basement, I got a whole dinner out of it for a payment but it kept his 69 coronet on the road). Just be careful with the "pushbutton mechanism" as these are somewhat hard to find parts for. An old "MOTOR MANUAL" would be helpful for the pushbutton aspect and an ATSG rebuild instructions are available online im sure.

to add to Omaha, There is also a Book by Carl H Munroe. Very good read I hear. I Just did one, it was very simple. Its like a big carburetor rebuild. Lay everything out the way it comes and reverse the procedure. Use a exploded diagram if you get lost, tighten up the clutch packs, input and gear train end plays as close to minimum factory spec as you can (their in the ATSG manual), it will add to longevity. Take your time, and do it once.

Oh, this is the most complete quality kit I've found. Transtar. Little over $100 to your door, you can rebuild with just this.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=9099

I got my extras goodies from here: (selective size clutch pack retaining rings, completed the bushings set, end play selective size thrust washers.)

https://www.wittrans.com/Default.aspx?

A word on the bushings...

The front pump, direct drum and tailshaft bushings go out the most. I replaced them all for piece of mind. I found that I can seat the direct drum bushing by setting the large end of the front pump on it then give it a whack on the small end, you'll see what i mean when you get there.

You can install them yourself. Hacksaw them lengthwise, then take a small awl or screwdriver and pound them out. Clean the hard parts with gentle detergent. Stick the bushings in the freezer, the hard parts in the oven at 200F, oil the bushing and wall where your going to install. then hammer the bushings in with a piece of wood or rubber between the hammer and the bushing, if you need to seat them, use a socket that is slightly larger than the outside diameter of the bushing. BAP.

If your feeling froggy add a TF-2 Shift kit. :yawinkle: It will firm up the shift, and cut down the 2-3 overlap, among other things.

If that's not enough to make your head spin, There are plenty of posts on this subject if you search the site, and google it.

You can do it! As has been mentioned, pick up the book "Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook" by Carl Munroe. It is specifically for the 727 but relates extremely well to the 904 since they are so similar. Another book to consider would be the ATSG (Automatic Transmission Service Group) Torqueflite A-727 A-904 manual. Read through those, then if you pay attention to how it comes apart, maintain some semblance of order and keep things clean you will have success. www.bulkpart.com is a great source for parts and if you need any 904 specific items contact Pat Blais, (206) 365-1966 Seattle, WA 98125 He specializes in the older torqueflites. The TF-2 shift kit is really worth considering as well. There are a couple of special tools that are required but with a little ingenuity you can get the job done by making them, borrowing them or inventing your own optional methods to accomplish the task.

Yes, you can do it and after you rebuild it you can be proud of the fact that you have learned another facet of your hobby.
Have fun!

Get the book above, Get one from ATSG, and watch these videos:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJhCBZ1wMY"]YouTube - ‪Rebuilding 727 torqueflite 600hp part1‬‏[/ame]

I don't know how you do it with Internet Exploder, but if you download Firefox browser (free) and get an add on called "Download helper", you can save these streaming videos to your HD

A 904 can be tackled at home with some advise and parts help.

Thanks guys. i ordered the books on amazin used.. NICE. am watching the videos tonight.

I appreciate the info

-
Back