904 question

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
So assuming a slant and a 318 904 form the same generation, are all the internals interchangeable?

I have a core 318 904 that needs rebuilt. I can get a rebuilt many years ago and never installed slant 904 for 80 bucks locally. Can I swap the slant 904 guts into the 318 unit?

depending on the year of the /6 unit it may or may not have kickdown/passing gear.

what "guts" are you looking to swap? because if it's seals and o-rings and clutches i don't think i'd trust that stuff that's been sitting around.

if you're doing a rebuild and you're just taking some hard parts to replace some stuff that's worn or out of spec and refreshing all the soft parts i don't see a problem with intermingling.

If you're able to do a gut swap, why not just get a rebuild kit for the small block transmission and know what you have? Just a thought.

Yes the whole sets of guts will interchange with-in certain year-limits; but
Most of the slanty hard parts are different, having fewer clutches, and lighter-duty components.
However, IIRC the slantys got the PT KD one year earlier, and it transfers right over to the V-8 VB.
These 904s are a snap to recondition.

So assuming a slant and a 318 904 form the same generation, are all the internals interchangeable?

I have a core 318 904 that needs rebuilt. I can get a rebuilt many years ago and never installed slant 904 for 80 bucks locally. Can I swap the slant 904 guts into the 318 unit?
After almost 40 years in the transmission industry, calling upon all manner of transmission rebuilding facilities, I've never seen a "rebuilt 904" for 80 bucks. Oh, pardon me, there was a less than honest shop, that bought cores, stuffed them in the parts washer to clean them, changed the pan gasket and filter, and then painted them all nice and shiny, but even he wanted more than 80 bucks.

Well we all know some people have something done many years ago and then it just sits on the floor in the corner of the garage for longer than it took their kid to graduate high school and now they just want it out of the way because the project it was for is already gone. I never said it was coming from a rebuilder's shop.

And although the 727 behind the 408 in my son's 65 Bcuda came to us free as a rebuilt unit with a rmvb thru a similar deal where I went to buy a $150 A body 8.25 and the dude just wanted the trans out of the way and said "take it with you". And it has been a damn solid transmission for 7 years now.

So they can be found at the right place and time. It is not unheard of, just not common.

But I digress, and have already decided against the slant unit to swipe guts from.

Last edited:
I haven't had many 904s cross my bench, but almost all that have, just needed a new frictions, or minor stuff, to freshen them up, and almost always a sprague kit.
Those things are so simple they practically build themselves.
I built my first one in 1976 at age 23. It worked so well, I immediately build three clones.
I still got one left.
They are so simple, that I wouldn't consider installing one even from my own stable, without at least tearing it apart for inspection.

-
Back