904 rebuild/advice :)

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have decided to rebuild the 904 tranny out of my 68 cuda.

I have a mild 318 with about 350 HP, but I would like the tranny to be built to support about 450 HP for future engine upgrades.

So, what is your guy's recommendations on parts I should use? What clutch packs, bands, shift kits? any other mods? I would like to keep the forward shift pattern. I already have a turbo action floor shift unit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAC-70001B/

This is for a hot street car, with an 8.75 rear, 3:55 sure grip. Can budget about 5-600 for parts...

I already have that HP book on how to rebuild the 727. So I will use that as a guide as well...any and all help is appreciated

get the transpak type kit from B&M. Its pretty inexpensive, comes with everything you will need and will easily make that 904 hold up to that power rating

buy a deluxe kit from bulkpart.com and save money...

all the big names are just reboxed parts

One of the biggest things you can do for increased strength is increase the number of clutches. There is a seller on Ebay that sells the 5 disc direct drum LOADED with NEW clutches for 20 bucks and 12 bucks shippin. Just do a search for 904 or A500 direct drum and it will come up.

well, i talked to john at cope transmissions and ordered all my parts from him...transgo2 kit, and a master rebuild kit, new sprag rollers and springs, different thickness snap rings, red clutch linings, redline race bands, selective thrush washers, HD band strut and that 4.2 lever. he said my transmission should already have a 4 clutch drum and that it would be fine for the power output im lookin to support...i also got a ptc converter....let yall know how it goes...

One of the biggest things you can do for increased strength is increase the number of clutches. There is a seller on Ebay that sells the 5 disc direct drum LOADED with NEW clutches for 20 bucks and 12 bucks shippin. Just do a search for 904 or A500 direct drum and it will come up.
just bought one. the seller is bpparts.

well, i talked to john at cope transmissions and ordered all my parts from him...transgo2 kit, and a master rebuild kit, new sprag rollers and springs, different thickness snap rings, red clutch linings, redline race bands, selective thrush washers, HD band strut and that 4.2 lever. he said my transmission should already have a 4 clutch drum and that it would be fine for the power output im lookin to support...i also got a ptc converter....let yall know how it goes...

good luck on your rebuild.....

I was looking at a 4 disc and 5 disc drum today..and the back side of them look somewhat different...will take a pic in morning..

SKU: 12555RSL
904 Cast Steel Front/High Clutch Drum (1976-92) Reconditioned Holds 5-.095" Thick Frictions or 6-.061 Thin Fricitons. (Requires a Beveled or Modified Front Pump Stator to Fit)

tried to put a replace a 4 disc drum with a 5 disc drum....5 disc drum hits pumps,,,so there are some differences out there....what i quoted above is from A&A trans..

SKU: 12555RSL
904 Cast Steel Front/High Clutch Drum (1976-92) Reconditioned Holds 5-.095" Thick Frictions or 6-.061 Thin Fricitons. (Requires a Beveled or Modified Front Pump Stator to Fit)

tried to put a replace a 4 disc drum with a 5 disc drum....5 disc drum hits pumps,,,so there are some differences out there....what i quoted above is from A&A trans..
oh boy. i guess like i said earlier I'll find out in a few weeks. I wonder if the one you are referencing has the same pn. as the one SS is referencing (read: the one i bought!).

I think the later stator support will clear with no modification. but when "later" vs "earlier" is I don't know. I do know you won't be able to bolt the pump assembly up to check end play if it doesnt clear.

I am pretty sure all my pump are 72+ models...but none of them are from the late 70s..

all i can say is the 5 disc drums hits the pump and does not seat...you can see the difference in the drum with the 5 disc being deeper ...

the drum on the right is the 5 disc drum....in the last pic you can see how the 5 disc drum is recessed where it rides against the pump...the lower ridge hits MY pump before it seats on the pump...

Attachments

• 100_3014.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_3016.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 100_3018.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 179
-
Back