904 rebuild question?

-
If you could get it without a huge shipping bill and with a warranty I would go for it!!

Personally I would have an extremely hard time trusting a rebuilt trans. from an E-bagger. Lets say they are a good business and the inevitable happens, they get a defective part or make a simple mistake and it doesn't work right. Now you not only have to pull it back out but you get to pay another $150 (most likely a lot more because your not a business that gets the discounted price they get to ship something) shipping to send it back and wait weeks for it to get back to you. What have you gained? NOTHING! Makes absolutely no sense to me. If you have a local shop you trust why not use them?

Personally I would have an extremely hard time trusting a rebuilt trans. from an E-bagger. Lets say they are a good business and the inevitable happens, they get a defective part or make a simple mistake and it doesn't work right. Now you not only have to pull it back out but you get to pay another $150 (most likely a lot more because your not a business that gets the discounted price they get to ship something) shipping to send it back and wait weeks for it to get back to you. What have you gained? NOTHING! Makes absolutely no sense to me. If you have a local shop you trust why not use them?

I see your point, they clain these are new never used but.....everything you said is true.
I got the cuda off of ebay, you think I would have learned.....Ha HA
I'm waiting on an estimate now....this is an area I need to develop some rebuild skills in for sure.

The torqueflite is super easy to rebuild. I've been rebuilding them for nearly 30 yrs. Did my first one in high school in 81 and it worked great. Had never done one before that. ATSG has a book out on doing a basic rebuild. Only costs about $13 from www.bulkpart.com Might be worth your while checking it out.

The torqueflite is super easy to rebuild. I've been rebuilding them for nearly 30 yrs. Did my first one in high school in 81 and it worked great. Had never done one before that. ATSG has a book out on doing a basic rebuild. Only costs about $13 from www.bulkpart.com Might be worth your while checking it out.
I'll have to do that! Thanks..

I'll second that on the rebuild manual. I tore down my 904 and put it back together with that manual for my first auto tranny rebuild. I bought a rebuild kit and a shift kit and have been driving that around for the last year with no problems.

So I dropped the 904 off last weekend. As it turns out the guy who does my t-shirts for my jeep group turned me on to his father who has a long history in the racing world. His name is Skip Hartwig evidentally he raced in the 60/70's out on Arizona and after that raced dirt track for jeep. It was a real pleasure to spend some time in his shop looking at his creations and listning to his storys. I should have it back next week and the price was more than resonable. I'm always happy to get a hook up but it's meeting new people and sharing their storys that make it so cool to be a part of all of this!!

Just got it back yesterday. $450.00 with a gurantee. Evidently there is a thrust washer or bearing that fell apart and it took him a couple weeks to locate a replacement.
Should be mating to the engine soon and back in the car asap.

I need to bring mine up where you are. The 727 is basically the same from what I have read. The cheapest est. I have gotten is $750. I can't do it myself do to an injury.

If that $450.00 you paid included all the parts and you know that they replaced ALL the parts. clutches, bands, etc, then you got a good deal. I know you can build it yourself, but I did the same as you, I found a tranny shop that is reliable, local I purchased a rebuild kit from Mancini racing, and a bolt in sprag, and the tranny shop charged me $400.00 to rebuild it, then I brought it over to them after I got it running and they checked it to make sure it was running correctly, so for a total of about $650.00 I feel I can trust this thing AND if something goes wrong I have somewhere I can take it to have it looked at, can't really do that with an EBAY tranny.

Wow, I have been quoted $900 in the car to rebuild mine.

It shifts fine it just leaks like a sieve.

Anyone know a good place in Orlando to get a trans rebuild ?

I got a rebuild quote today for $750. This includes installation of a 3300 Street Pro Torque Converter that I'll have to order for another $300.

-
Back