904 rebuild

-

wedgie

Reaction score
I just ordered a master deluxe rebuild kit which has red eagle clutches, kolene steels, a solid eagle band. I also ordered a 4.2 lever and a cheetah reverse manual valve body. Are there any inherently weak points that I should take care of while the trans is down. It is in a drag only car, 2900# with slicks and about 350HP.

Kinda wonderin why you don't put that money into a much stronger 727,,
drag only cars tend to break weakest part, and unless you are still running a 7 1/2 inch rear axle.. the trans will be the weakest link... imho...

I'm running an 8 3/4 with 4.56 and a spool. I know that everything being equal, the 904 is supposed to be quicker because it is lighter and requires about 20 HP less to turn. 904 rebuilds are new to me, which prompted the original question. I know that a lot of the Hemi racers use 904 internals in a 727 case. If they hold up to that kind of power, my little small block shouldn't hurt one if I address any weak links.

mia culpa.. shows I'm from the old school.. I'll go back to readin.. only got about 40 yrs to catch up on.. glad I'm here..

Seems that a lot of racers are running 904s these days because of more power to the wheels, and many with LOTS more power than your talking.
I'm no trans expert but everything I read says #1 read the first sticky here!
#2 maybe go for a steel or aluminum front drum over the "powdered iron" stocker.
#3 make sure you use a valve body that uses low band apply in first gear.
At 350 horse I'd imagine you'll be bulletproof.

Read the sticky for the base knowledge.
#2 You don't need a billet steel or alum drum in a 904.
#3 Don't need a LBA unless you want one because the drums on 904's don't detonate like 727's do.

If you want 1st gear engine braking, then go with a LBA valve body

the only other thing i would replace is the big spring in the front drum...

there is a 24 spring kit that replaces it......the big spring will unwind at high rpm and let the clutch disc drag...

http://www.tcsproducts.com/details.html?id=15

CRT...A&A Trans...Tranzact...also sell them.

ROFLMAO ! !.. sorry, but take me as a guy who hasn't read a Rod Magazine or anything for 30 years, but owned a speed shop building Nasty stuff of all breeds, where all the AA fuely guys are bolting on "Clutch-flites" behind GM, Ford, didn't matter , 727 was only thing strong and quick enough to hold 1200 - 2000 hp dragster/funny car.... and I'm thinking of walking up to Garlits or some such... and sayin... if'n you blow that 727 up.... I got a 904 for ya... lol .. lol... sorry

P.S. I dooo believe you guys, I just got a lotta catchin up to do ... lol ... so funny... shouldn'ta smoked that doobie..

Plenty of 904's running behind stuff in the 600hp range off a transbrake now.

Are they as strong as a 727, of course not based upon the size of clutch compnents/drums, but they are more than capable.

Hey Wedgie, I sure didn't mean to steal your thunder, nor demonstate my ignorance, I'm still trying to get my head around a powerglide behind a big block,, my apologies to you and others.. But tell me, are you using stock planetaries, or aftermarket, cuz they must take tremendous loads, I'm assuming a trans brake locks a planetary.. anyway, I'm stunned by the parts avail after mkt.. I'll shut up, and being new, pls forgive me .. is there a better thread for me to ask questions.. tia..

OK, the local trans place want almost $900 to rebuild my 904. including R and R.

How would it cost if I did it myself?

Just a stock build for a slant 6.

if you bought the parts that listed in this thread,,,,around 300 bucks give or take...

if you bought the parts that listed in this thread,,,,around 300 bucks give or take...

If you are just looking for a stock rebuild kit to use behind a slant, the kit is less than $100.00 shipped.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/m...=2&Product_Code=12006C&Category_Code=A904kits
In my particular case, I need something to address any weak links while the trans is down so the trans parts are more expensive, and I am still learning. Try the above link for stock 904 rebuild kit.

One of the mods recomended is to relocate the breather to the rear of the trans. Anybody done this? Did you use a rear end type breather or tap for a fitting and run steel tubing or hose to a catch can up front?

-
Back