904 rebuild

-

ktcnn94

Reaction score
I'm thinking of rebuilding a trans for my swinger pretty soon. I have a 727 in it now that I kinda messed up not getting my shift linkage adjusted correctly and fast enough. It doesn't take long to smoke one of these things from what I call tell. It slips and almost acts like its starving for fluid when it's cold, it does much better after it warms up. The guy I got it from said he had rebuilt it and it has a "spragless" converter in it. Anyway I have a 904 sitting in my garage that shifted fine behind the 318 I had in the car previously. I've read that they're not real complicated so I'm thinking of building it and buying a new converter for it. It'll go behind a 340 with j heads, air gap and a Mopar purple cam, dougs headers and a 4:10 sure trac. With all that said I'm looking for suggestions on what kit is recommended. Can't go wild on the cost of this but don't want to skimp out on it either. Any suggestions or tips.

I also have the ATSG manual for the 904 available in pdf format...can be emailed..it is 5 megabit ......

70aarcuda pm sent, thank you very much. Suggestions on a overhaul kit?

Aren't spragless converters for racing? I don't know anything about them except for the google search I just did, and so many posts saying they are not for street. Probably just a high stall speed that you are interpreting as slippage.

Yes the spragless converters are for racing. I bought the engine and trans from a guy that needed the cash and had ran it down the strip a few times. I stuck in my '71 with what he had, thought it'd be fun to play with. And it has been fun, this car is not a daily driver. I just cruise it around from time to time. I felt like it was just a real high stall as well (builder was unsure, couldn't remember) but the more I messed with getting the shift points right and getting the timing dialed in the worse it got. It's much worse when cold and seems to shudder when pulling out turning like its starving for fluid. It's much better after it gets warm. The fluid level is correct cked on level ground, op temp and in neutral. Fluid doesn't seem dark or burnt. What's the possibility it has the wrong tube and dipstick in it and it actually is low on fluid? Is there a way to ck the stick and tube? I thought about dropping the pan and cking out the filter but figured it was already smoked why waste my time. I figured a rebuild was in order and I'd need a converter more for the street so from my readings I decided Id probably just build the 904 since its out already and stick it in there. Thanks for suggestions guys. I'll do some checking on it.

-
Back