904 rebuild

-

Rodsaknockin

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm wanting to rebuild my 904 in my 72 dart swinger. Building a 360 right now for it it is a 318 car transmission is in good shape. Talked to one trans shop and he talked like there could be a difference between a year or two earlier version of the 904 and my 1972 904 any ideas would be appreciated. My 360 is a going to be 10:8.1 engine with a extreme energy 285hl cam roller rockers/ dougs headers Kieth black 107s rpm intake and 750dp carb aluminum heads hoping for 450hp and the same tourqe. Wondering how much I should beef it up. The car is going to spend most of its time on the street being a boulevard bruiser a member here suggested a converter 3200 rpm range car has 3:91 gears probably going to go to a 8.8 Ford diff and a locker. Thanks I advance

If you look at the pan rail it will havea PK number....that number will tell you what year and where it came from....at PK35xxxxxxx and higher will tell you it is a 72 and newer...

I would talk to VOETOM about this, or better yet, buy his book.
If you look at the pan rail it will havea PK number....that number will tell you what year and where it came from....at PK35xxxxxxx and higher will tell you it is a 72 and newer...
alright thanks for that when this cold snap ends here and I can get it out of the garage and into the shop I will get that info

alright thanks for that when this cold snap ends here and I can get it out of the garage and into the shop I will get that info
It’s not cold over hear and I’m in canada +5 .......but supposed to be-2 tonight .

Our cold snap has ended (it’s 41 here now, mid 60’s this week!) and now we are all fighting the flu A here at home... Had something like a B strain two weeks ago. Shoot Me Now!

Yikes we’re supposed to get cold here next couple of days but not that cold.
I'm sure not looking forward to work on Monday. We are out in the field supposed to be -24 t the wind chill. Always wanted to be a mechanic they said it would be fun.

Our cold snap has ended (it’s 41 here now, mid 60’s this week!) and now we are all fighting the flu A here at home... Had something like a B strain two weeks ago. Shoot Me Now!
Yes H1N1 is what there calling it here ,had it in Jan it was the sickest I’ve been in years.

Man that sucks hope you and yours get feeling better. The family and myself had a Christmas and holidays and weren't sick first one in a few years.

I'm sure not looking forward to work on Monday. We are out in the field supposed to be -24 t the wind chill. Always wanted to be a mechanic they said it would be fun.
I’m in a shop , gas mechanic no field work.

Yes H1N1 is what there calling it here ,had it in Jan it was the sickest I’ve been in years.
I really hate being sick and especially if you get a man cold hahaha the wife always teases me about that glad your feeling better

I’m in a shop , gas mechanic no field work.
That's nice being inside did that for a number of years heavy duty mostly highway trucks and ag equipment then spread my wings and bought my dads landscaping company and ended up getting into the oil patch fixing,maintaining and rebuilding all there natural gas engine have just over 70 to look after we do get some days in the shop and it is a nice change although being outside when it is nice is a bonus. But sometimes it is so busy I don't know which end is up

That's nice being inside did that for a number of years heavy duty mostly highway trucks and ag equipment then spread my wings and bought my dads landscaping company and ended up getting into the oil patch fixing,maintaining and rebuilding all there natural gas engine have just over 70 to look after we do get some days in the shop and it is a nice change although being outside when it is nice is a bonus. But sometimes it is so busy I don't know which end is up
Well being busy isn’t a bad thing ! Good money in the heavy duty field for sure . Better I think in maitance.

Well being busy isn’t a bad thing ! Good money in the heavy duty field for sure . Better I think in maitance.
Yeah being busy is good especially since it has slowed down in Alberta lots of guys struggling for sure. Maintenece is good for sure. Do you work at a dealership or mom and pop shop ?

Yeah being busy is good especially since it has slowed down in Alberta lots of guys struggling for sure. Maintenece is good for sure. Do you work at a dealership or mom and pop shop ?
I was flat rate for 17 years Chrysler store , quit because of politics and now work hourly at a mom and pop , much better in some ways.

I was flat rate for 17 years Chrysler store , quit because of politics and now work hourly at a mom and pop , much better in some ways.
I hear you about the politics with dealership ship scene did that for a couple of years. Cut my teeth at a mom and pop shop the guy is still going and I actually buy a lot of parts through him. When I started working for him we worked in a old shop that was a international dealership in the 50s it was a real dungeon for sure. Then moved into a much nicer building as business grew for him. There was definitely a lot more perks working for the little guy or at least that was my experience

I hear you about the politics with dealership ship scene did that for a couple of years. Cut my teeth at a mom and pop shop the guy is still going and I actually buy a lot of parts through him. When I started working for him we worked in a old shop that was a international dealership in the 50s it was a real dungeon for sure. Then moved into a much nicer building as business grew for him. There was definitely a lot more perks working for the little guy or at least that was my experience
Yes your not a # which is nice . Best piece of advice I was given as I was leaving a job I worked at for that many years , I was worried about leaving the good guys behind , I was told there are good guys everywhere! Made the transition easer.

Well it started to be a interesting transmission thread for the first few post then it turned into a weather discussion. When it turns back into a transmission thread I'd be glad to give any help I can. I've only prebuilt one 904 and it was as easy as falling off the couch.

Yes your not a # which is nice . Best piece of advice I was given as I was leaving a job I worked at for that many years , I was worried about leaving the good guys behind , I was told there are good guys everywhere! Made the transition easer.
Sometimes being pushed out of your comfort zone gives you many more options and new opportunities

Well it started to be a interesting transmission thread for the first few post then it turned into a weather discussion. When it turns back into a transmission thread I'd be glad to give any help I can. I've only prebuilt one 904 and it was as easy as falling off the couch.
It’s like when your buddy’s show up at the shop ,before long your drinking beer and just shooting the ****.

I have looked through some previous posts on the 904s and looked at some related parts links. Want to make sure I don't have to rebuild if I add nitrous down the road build in some wiggle room for more power

I bought the book to rebuild my 904 myself for our 340 Duster. Saved alot of $$. It's nice to hand pick every single component that fits your driving habits. I will never take one to a shop again. I used A&A Transmission parts all the way through. Including their own 3K torque convertor and flexplate. Man, what a difference.....

-
Back