904 rebuild

-
I have looked through some previous posts on the 904s and looked at some related parts links. Want to make sure I don't have to rebuild if I add nitrous down the road build in some wiggle room for more power
I know 70AARCuda has 904 in his drag cars so I would look to him for heavy modifications. A lot of times you can get core transmissions for about $100. Personally I would look into like what I had like a 1976 904. I also had a 72 904 that I was going to rebuild but when I cracked open the 76 I could tell it had an extra clutch plate up front and it's accumulators were a little bigger. Again just trying to throw out the little experience that I have.

I bought the book to rebuild my 904 myself for our 340 Duster. Saved alot of $$. It's nice to hand pick every single component that fits your driving habits. I will never take one to a shop again. I used A&A Transmission parts all the way through. Including their own 3K torque convertor and flexplate. Man, what a difference.....
Okay that's what I was looking for more than anything is being able to pick the right parts along the way to build something that is going to do the job

I bought the book to rebuild my 904 myself for our 340 Duster. Saved alot of $$. It's nice to hand pick every single component that fits your driving habits. I will never take one to a shop again. I used A&A Transmission parts all the way through. Including their own 3K torque convertor and flexplate. Man, what a difference.....
Yes after rebuilding that first one I would never let anybody else build my Transmissions. It even gave me the confidence to rebuild my friends Chevy 350 Turbo. Which ended up having twice the amount of parts and the same results? Anyways another thing that I liked was I ordered my kit from a local transmission warehouse. I had a couple issues with a few of the seals that didn't fit and instead of having to mail them and discuss this I was able to just go right there exchange them and pick them up. Remember there's quite a number of small little Parts in there and it can easily get mixed up. There's humans putting them together or not computers.

I know 70AARCuda has 904 in his drag cars so I would look to him for heavy modifications. A lot of times you can get core transmissions for about $100. Personally I would look into like what I had like a 1976 904. I also had a 72 904 that I was going to rebuild but when I cracked open the 76 I could tell it had an extra clutch plate up front and it's accumulators were a little bigger. Again just trying to throw out the little experience that I have.
Sweet the extra clutch plate is what I have been trying to find out didn't know about the accumulators being different

Sweet the extra clutch plate is what I have been trying to find out didn't know about the accumulators being different
I want to say it's the front accumulator that's a little bigger? But I can't remember for sure. I know there's a way you can have the front drum machine doubt or something to be able to accommodate another disc and steel butt I believe the later years already have them.

I looked at the tcs in Langley bc I think it is worth a call out there and ordering a book

A member hear suggested that I use a turbo action street s 800 converter looked into them seem like a pretty good deal and they got there start building converters for mopar

et
I am currently 2 for 2 with 904s that have no forward gears after I rebuild them...LOL>...found a broken piece in one...and the second seems like the front pump seals are not sealing ...LOL....I need a transmission dyno....then I dropped a transbrake and broke a piece on the valve body.....have to box it up and set it back to get repaired...**** happens...

In 72ish....they changed the front servo...went bigger....nothing wrong with the older ones for a daily drivers...that PK35xxxxxx is where they changed....

Okay sounds good I want to get the engine and trans out of the car and get all the tranny parts ordered and have a day to work on it without the phone ringing
P. M. Or quote 70aarcuda and ask him to give you a list of the things you'll need. He's not spend spend spend oriented, I'd say he's Thrifty smart and gets the right parts. Likely he's found all the weak spots LOL

et
I am currently 2 for 2 with 904s that have no forward gears after I rebuild them...LOL>...found a broken piece in one...and the second seems like the front pump seals are not sealing ...LOL....I need a transmission dyno....then I dropped a transbrake and broke a piece on the valve body.....have to box it up and set it back to get repaired...**** happens...

In 72ish....they changed the front servo...went bigger....nothing wrong with the older ones for a daily drivers...that PK35xxxxxx is where they changed....
I'm wondering for my power level just how far to go I'm not going to take it to the track or at least not yet lol. I don't know a lot about trans brakes. Is it worth it at my going to be power level?

et

Well I just spoke too soon LOL

Don't forget that Mopar went to the 999 that looks just like the 904. It has the low first gear and locking converter.A few other things are different such as the front clutch pack has 4 instead of 3. I even think there is a 998. I may be wrong about all of this though...

Very much tech on here about 904 and I thought it was 999 transmission but a little fuzzy right now. I am looking forward to Tom Hands book. A good way learn process of teardown and inspection teqniques are the transmission workbench videos on YouTube. I’ve not seen anything as old as our stuff yet but I got to help someone out on an AOD4E who used the classroom lessons.

-
Back