904 Selective Thrust Washer

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
Sorry but this is probably a dumb question, but I need to know. I'm overhauling my first automatic, and in doing so, I'm trying to figure out what "selective" thrust washer to user between the input shaft and output shaft. I have a set of oring and small steal washers, and one steel cap with my O/H kit I purchased from A&A. Also, on the rear clutch assembly, my ATSG and '69 Dodge service manual mention using a number 2 selective thrust washer on the fwd side. I have a set of black thrust washers, however identified A,B,C, and D. I trying to use the ATSG and '69 service manual to the letter, but it is still somewhat vague. Sorry for the long question.

The manual calls out for a thrust plate between the input and output shaft, installed on the output shat over the pin on the fwd side. I think maybe I just didn't receive it?

Well you need to use a dial indicator to check the endplay on the shatfs, input to out and total play. The thicker washers i ndiff points i nthe build help to take up the slack and get you in specs.

I was going to send you a very good build in pdf format, but it is like 19 megs.

Generally speaking, the new teflon seals that go on the shafts do a better job than the old metal lock rings, and the brass/metal washers are better too.

Make sure you use a good trans assembly lube or vasaline going back together on all suraces, saok your clutches, take your time, chnage all the drum seals etc and pressure test them too.

PS when you use air to test them make sure they are facing a wall etc, you dont need your head blown off..

Thanks bud. I just need to know what the thrust washer betweed the input and output shat looks like, as I don't think I got it from A&A. Any pic's would be deeply appreciated. Thanks again!

did the trans have one in it went it was torn apart...

it is a small washer...about the size of 50 cent piece....has about a 1/4 inch hole in the middle...

Picture 1056.jpg

It is a small round washer, sometimes looking and has 3 small humps on it like a clover leaf. Wish I had a better pic. It goes on the input to output shaft.

OK from the book it is #3 in the picture I made for you buddy.

Apply a light coat of grease
to selective thrust washer and install washer on front AND LOCKNUT
end of the output shaft. Apply a light coat of grease to
input shaft thrust plate and install over input shaft. If
input shaft end play was not within specifications
(.022 to .091 inch), when tested before disassembly,
replace washer with One proper thickness

Some specs
# 3 Selective
,052 to .054 inch (Tin)
.068 to .070 inch (Red)
.083 t-o .086 inch (Green)

PS DONT forget the snag ring seen this left off many times it goes on the end of the output shaft to hold the lower end in place so it wont walk up the shaft. :)

904 727 forward assembly.jpg

727_Exploded_View.jpg

Thank you sir! That 2nd pic is a BIG help! Unfortunately, they sent me the wrong thrust washer. Mine requires the bronze type with no tangs on the I.D., they sent me one with internal tangs like the one on the left on the 2nd row in Aarcuda's pic. I really appreciate you guys helping me out as always. Ya'll are a huge help.

There is also one on the pump support in front of the direct drum. make sure that isn't the one that's worn or missing.

-
Back