904 shifting problem.

-

keefer73dart

Reaction score
So need a direction to go have 904 that was driving some what normal. Until hard acceleration and there was 2 nd to third rpm jump and miss almost. Now seems like when it got warmed up it won’t go into first really sluggish. Did kick down adjustment either I get it shift at a good rpm and then it won’t kick down and down shift with hard acceleration or I get it to and it has long shift. Don’t know if these are separate issues or same just got last week 87 dodge d150. Had been sitting for some time. And was driving pretty good first couple days of messing with it.

ntil hard acceleration and there was 2 nd to third rpm jump and miss almost.
This is called a shift flare, and if the fluid level is correct, and the bands are adjusted right,then the cause started with either faulty lipseals or a hung governor.
All your dicking around with the KD, which is actually adjusting the throttle pressure, is pointing to the governor being ok, and testifies to leaking lipseals.
A pressure test will reveal the problem.
But honestly, it's only a lil more work to take the trans down and look it thru.

This is called a shift flare, and if the fluid level is correct, and the bands are adjusted right,then the cause started with either faulty lipseals or a hung governor.
All your dicking around with the KD, which is actually adjusting the throttle pressure, is pointing to the governor being ok, and testifies to leaking lipseals.
But honestly, it's only a lil more work to take the trans down and look it thru.
This would cause the no first gear issue as well? Like I can’t get it into first.? Feels like it starts off in second? I do have reverse but it engages hard . And I’m not a transmission guy what so ever but always willing to try to fix something. I have another 904 it’s rebuilt but I have a 8 inch converter non lock up for my dart but the truck is more of a street driver but it’s tranny is a lock up I think if it’s original to truck need to look. Any ways what exactly am I looking for inspection wise ? I haven’t checked bands yet cause I still had reverse ? Once again sorry ignorant when it comes to transmissions

Sorry for bad keyboard grammar as well.

no first gear issue as well? Like I can’t get it into first.? Feels like it starts off in second?I do have reverse but it engages hard
This says your pump is good, the hi-drum is good and the L/R band is working.
It is impossible for this trans to start in second, unless the VB is messed up, and that is not likely. More likely is that the Clutches in the hi-drum are piled up, or nearly so, and now when you put it in Manual low, the trans is in two gears at once. If the vehicle moves at all, then the Band is winning,lol.
That's my guess.
Smell the dipstick; any stink at all, and there's your proof.
If the fluid is off-color or stinks or has any black powder on the dipstick, then I bet I'm right.
That trans is super easy to rebuild. You just need three tools; a circlip plier, a hi-drum spring compressor,and a bumping tool to pull the frontend out.
The bumping tool you can get around without.
The compressor you can rig up
That just leaves the plier.
The repair parts are about 200/250 for everything you need.

Last edited:
Ok so could this still be the issue with clean fluid ? Fluid is still bright red and doesn’t smell burnt or funky or anything?

Well then
I bet I'm wrong.

Are you hitting on all cylinders?
Ya engine is running great I messed with it some this morning still hanging up but I can feel a shift don’t know if this has anything to do with it but indicator on shift column is off 1 spot. And it does feel like something is almost dragging inside trans. I kinda wanna just band aid this one till I feel like dropping it and putting fresh 904 in and then rebuild the old one

You think something in the valve body could be sticking ? Or
Not yet, sync your shift quadrant first
Take the shiftrod off the lever down by the trans, and make sure you get all positions from low to park
Then go to the column shifter and do same.
Then put them both in R and sync them up,with the provided adjuster, then prove you still have all positions, in their full sequence
If the manual valve does not fully engage first in the detent, then it won't go into first. If the manual valve doesn't detent in Drive, then it could be dumping oil straight back into the pan
You gotta sync it up.

Last edited:
-
Back