904 to 727 conversion

-

cinimod2

Reaction score
Alright I currently have a 904 trans in my dart. Its bolted to a 318 sb. I know I just posted about problems with my 904 trans so I went On Craigslist and found a 1965 727 for $150. It's a push button trans so would I be able to put that in my colum shift dart and some how hook the cable up to the shifter? Or would I be better off getting a 727 for a regular shifter? If I had to find a different 727 than the one that I found could I use any 727 or would it have to be one out of an abody? Thanks for help in advanced Dom

..............U will need a 68 up 727............4 a sb...........dont get a club cab truck trans cause they have a bolt on rear yolk. no good 2 u..........u will need 2 shorten ur drive shaft approx 4 inches.........kim...........

couple of things....dont really think you will be able to hook up a cable shifted 727 to a column shift car...

the early trans had a smaller hub on the front of the converter that fit into the back of the crank...plus they used a converter will different spline count so a newer converter can not be swapped out...

so..I would take a pass on that trans...

any small block 727...out of any car will fit an A body....the only weird ones you might find are in pickup trucks or motorhomes...and those MIGHT have different tail shafts...

you will also need to shorted your drive shaft as the 727 is longer then the 904.....and

a 727 behind a 318 is completely a waste of power....they are heavier, and take much needed power away from your 318 to operate....it'll be a dog...

a 727 behind a 318 is completely a waste of power....they are heavier, and take much needed power away from your 318 to operate....it'll be a dog...

Calling it a dog is a stretch and you can blow up a 904 pretty easy behind a 318 with a 2bbl , did it myself at 17yrs old .

But I agree I would just fix the 904 , one thing that one has to do to switch to a 727 in an A body with column shift is to fab up the shift linkage , column shift 727's were few and far between and finding originals is not easy and no one repops the stuff .

I would rebuild the 904 and forget the 727, rebuild kits are around $150.00 and you can possibly rebuild it yourself. my .02

sorry. a dog was too harsh. with the help of this site and what parts to use, my brother and i rebuilt the 904 behind my 318,...all new parts, red clutches, kolene steels, trans go 2 shift kit with a ptc 3000 stall converter...should last and work great behind 450 hp....it doesn't take much at all to beef up a 904 trans to take power...

OK i have never rebuilt a trans so my question is there any special tools needed or will most basic hand tools do? Like i said never done one just put together some small blocks mainly chevys.

It would help to know which year you're working with but assuming it's a '68 or newer car, building the 904 makes more sense. If you're determined to install a 727, use a '68 or newer slip yoke type. You'll need to also get the following.....converter; slip yoke (preferably one that matches your rear end pinion flange so you only need one u-joint number); bell housing dust cover; shift linkage Z-bar and bell housing bracket (or modify your 904 setup); depending on torque converter, you might need a different flex plate; and a shorter driveshaft or shorten yours. There are some tools that are necessary and/or make a do-it-yourself job much easier such as: A good service manual, GOOD snap ring pliers and spreaders; clutch pack press, inch pound torque wrench, bushing/seal driver set, a dial indicator, 0-1 micrometer, and a set of feeler gauges. Assemble it with Vasoline if you're not going to run it right away. I do it anyway, it's a good cheap assembly lube. Oh, and don't wipe anything with a rag.....use compressed air. Any lint at all can cause problems. I know I'm probably forgeting something but I'm sure someone else that does it everyday will chime in a add more to the list.

I agree, stay with the 904,
or better yet convert to 4-speed! A-833 manual!
forget the pushbuton 727 it will not work with your column shift, no way

-
Back